What download site do you use?

razz

Not sure what forum to post this in but I thought because it's in regard to downloading software, then ....... If wrong forum, I apologize.

I understand the desire to use the vendor's own site for download, but as you know, sometimes this is not possible.  In that case, what is your download site preference?

I know that my uBlock Origin extension blocks download.cnet.com (cnet.com) and from what I've read in the past, for good reason.

• Moderators

I've had to accept no one download site is the answer any more.

I used to use Tucows (eons ago) until they were taken over by crap/bloat/spy ware wrappers.

Then the same happened to CNet then to FileHippo and SourceForge...

Now I just go to whatever the search engine says but with the appropriate security safety nets, AV scans, WoT lookup, site/program reviews pre-checks etc.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

- I used to use Tucows (eons ago) until they were taken over by crap/bloat/spy ware wrappers.

-- Then the same happened to CNet then to FileHippo and SourceForge...

--- Now I just go to whatever the search engine says but with the appropriate security safety nets, AV scans, WoT lookup, site/program reviews pre-checks etc.

- Like you, I used to use Tucows all the time and then, like you said, it became a crap download site.  Very sad what happened to Tucows!   :(

-- I thought FileHippo and SourceForge was still not too bad, but now I will follow your advice and really watch out even on those two sites.

--- Like you said: using "appropriate security safety nets, AV scans, WoT lookup, site/program reviews pre-checks etc.", is always smart and I always do that.

I usually avoid them as much as possible.  I'll hunt for the developer/distributor site rather than use them, if that site happens to be something like SourceForge (as an example) I'll avoid big obvious download buttons, and go into the repository itself and download from there, but then even on a programs "home" site I do a similar thing finding exactly the link I want first, as I don't particularly like those online installers either, so I'll look for a link that downloads the actual program rather than a download stub.  Usually you can find them under options to download for use on other machines, or sometimes in it's forums (dropbox does this last one, only place I've found to download the offline version, that used to be easier to find).

You've got two of these going, one on this forum, and one here: :huh:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/646571/what-download-sites-do-you-prefer/

Yes Andavari, that is true.  I did not realize that would be a problem.  I am doing research to be included within my program (version 5).  I hope I didn't upset you.

So if a person has a topic that they would like as much info on as possible, then that person if wishing to not be frowned upon, should try and decide which one particular forum he/she should post on?  Sorry but I don't understand this thinking.  Would it not make more sense for a person to post to 1, 2 or 3 of their favorite forums to get answers/ideas from as many brilliant people as possible?

If what you say is fact (i.e. the opinion of most), then perhaps in this day and age with so many great forums being available, this "post to one forum" thinking should be revisited.  Perhaps their thinking, including yours, could be revised if you/they can see that I have a good point.

It would be interesting to post a topic in the Lounge that deals with the opinions on this subject.

• Moderators

I have to agree with Andavari razz, and I'll explain the various reasons why this "copy and paste" posting to different forums isn't considered good etiquette. And there isn't any need for a lounge discussion on the subject.

1)

It's a practice used widely by spammers and therefore usually raises suspicions when noticed.

2)

It's a practice used widely by deliberate "time wasters" who can have countless people on numerous forums giving of their spare time trying to help someone who actually has no interest in the answers.

3)

It's a practice which can actually waste the time of a lot of folk who have no idea the same questions have been raised on other forums. The moderators and regular members on here and other forums don't always just answer peoples questions and pleas for help off the top of their heads. They often spend quite some time researching a problem or question before trying to address it or answer it.

Even a seemingly simple question like "What download site do you use?" would have me checking out every site I recommended to see if they had changed before I gave an answer. Members of other forums could well be doing the same thing to simply come up with the answers you already have here. A complete waste of those members personal time.

A more thought out way to research a subject would be to have asked the question on here, and if you weren't convinced you had enough information, then to have moved to another forum with the same question but accompanied by an explanation that you had already asked this at Piriform, providing a link back to your question and the given answers here, and then let those other forum members decide as to whether they could provide you with something new.

4)

Most people who use this "copy and paste" practice waste a lot of peoples time by simply choosing what they think is the best solution on a particular forum, and never returning to the other forum or forums where genuine volunteers have spent literally hours trying to assist them. I've been there and don't ever want another tee shirt.

Or they return to each of the places they've asked the identical question and reply with a one line "problem solved" and never say how, or ever return again.

5)

We've had a case on here where a regular member was asking, ne begging for help by pm from numerous moderators for answers to exactly the same problem, without the individual mods being aware that they were all working on that same problem for him. This scenario was only discovered by chance and was an absolute waste of peoples freely given time, and an insult to the people giving of it.

Is that any different from asking the same question at the same time on different forums without those individual forums being aware that they could be putting in their freely given time to simply duplicate answers already received elsewhere? Absolutely no difference at all.

So basically, no, the issue doesn't have to be revisited or discussed in any way as copying and pasting identical questions to different forums at the same time is not a good practice for the reasons given above (and I may have even missed a couple).

There isn't any law or forum rule against it, but the individuals involved in the different scenarios outlined above have caused this trick to be placed firmly in the "frowned upon" category.

It's entirely your choice of course razz, but I wouldn't answer a question if I was aware that it had been duplicated on another forum or forums.

And please note, I'm not even vaguely suggesting that you are in any way trying to do the stuff I've just outlined above, I'm simply describing the wagon you could be climbing on if you think it's an OK thing to do.

Hi Dennis.  First, thank you for the time and effort you spent detailing the various reasons why posting the same post to different forums isn't considered good etiquette.

Your explanation was excellent and made me reconsider my opinion on the subject.  Andavari and you are right.  I did not consider what you pointed out and I now wish to apologize.  I will refrain from this in the future.

I hope my long time presence on this forum and my previous posts will overshadow this post and that I will not be frowned upon by the members on this great forum.

@ Andavari: I apologize for not understanding your point when you posted.

Thank you Dennis for making me see the light.   :)