Uninstalled programs still listed

Paultx

Although they were uninstalled more than a year ago, these programs are still listed in Cleaner > Applications:

ap8qbc.jpg

Besides, LibreOffice was installed to replace the MS Office suite but it is not in the Cleaner > Applications list, only in Tools > Uninstall.

14lj436.jpg

Why is that so? Is it maybe because I use a portable version of CCleaner? And how to fix that, if this is possible? TIA.

Desktop: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Core i7 - 12 GB RAM

Laptop 1 (me): Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Core i5 - 6 GB RAM

Laptop 2 (wife): Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Celeron Dual Core 1007U - 4 GB RAM

Laptop 3 (daughter): Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Dual Core - 4 GB RAM

• Moderators

when programs are uninstalled, many traces of their existence still remain, especially in the Registry.

it all depends on how their uninstall process has been written.

to find out what trace of the old program is causing CC to list it still, run CC with the /export switch.

documentation on that here; http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/command-line-parameters

after doing so, look in the created .INI files for your remnants.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

when programs are uninstalled, many traces of their existence still remain, especially in the Registry.
it all depends on how their uninstall process has been written.

Well, I thought that's what CCleaner was supposed to clean.

to find out what trace of the old program is causing CC to list it still, run CC with the /export switch.

documentation on that here; http://www.piriform....line-parameters
after doing so, look in the created .INI files for your remnants.

Parameter

CCleaner.exe /EXPORT

Explanation

CCleaner exports the cleaning rules to the INI files. Three INI files will be created in the CCleaner's installation folder - winapp.ini, winreg.ini and winsys.ini. They contain cleaning rules for the Application section, Registry Cleaner and the Windows section respectively.

Then what? Do I have to manually edit those .ini files?

Desktop: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Core i7 - 12 GB RAM

Laptop 1 (me): Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Core i5 - 6 GB RAM

Laptop 2 (wife): Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Celeron Dual Core 1007U - 4 GB RAM

Laptop 3 (daughter): Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - Intel Dual Core - 4 GB RAM

• Moderators

Hi Paultx, and welcome to the forum.

No, you don't do anything to the ini files. Open the winapp.ini file (should open by double clicking it) and search for the programs listed in your screenshot above.

Registry location examples hlighted here ...

post-8751-0-16164400-1495138832_thumb.jpg

When you find each one, they will show you the registry locations CCleaner searches for those entries. Search the registry with something like regedit for the displayed locations. If you find them, just delete them. And bare in mind, CCleaner just cannot find every single entry in the registry for programs removed from your computer.

The ini file also shows you the folder locations which you can search for leftovers.

I have RealPlayer still listed in CCleaner and I have extensively searched the registry for any RealPlayer entries as well as for files and/or folders, and I can't find anything. Yet there it is listed in CCleaner/Applications.

My CCleaner also lists Google Toolbar and Windows Live Messenger although there isn't a trace of either on my computer. Not that I can find and I know how to look.

So good luck with your search and post back if you're doubtful about deleting anything.

Hope that helps.

:)

Edited by DennisD
Added folder locations.