How To Use Recuva To Recover Files

Recuva51017

Hi. Like the title says I have really no knowledge on how to do it because I can't boot into my operating system and I have no idea how to use the software through a usb flash drive. Any help would be appreciated and please kindly have the instructions clear from top to bottom. Thank you.

• Moderators

just taking a step back...

so the PC doesn't boot, so do you have some sort of OS on that USB stick to boot the PC from?

what has happened to the PC's hard drive, did it crash or was something deleted that is now stopping it from booting?

is removing the drive from that PC an option?  like putting the drive in another PC or into an external enclosure?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Its a laptop and I just bought a new one last week to get a copy of the recovery and put it into a usb flash drive and I tried booting the usb but after an hour of waiting to give me the option to repair or reset nothing happens and I'm just stuck on the logo. I did research and I believe the hdd is still functioning and probably its either corrupted, missing some stuff on it or something else.

• Moderators

let's try and get that old laptop started, it'll be one of the fastest way forward if all you are after is access to your data.

although personally, I'd still be pulling the hard drive out and whacking it into an external enclosure; 1) you'll get quick, direct access to the data and 2) it can later be used as a backup unit.

start the old laptop (with your USB disconnected) and when you see Windows trying to start, hold in the power button to turn it off.

repeat a few times and eventually Windows will force you into Advanced Startup Options.

pick Troubleshoot, then Reset This PC, then Keep My Files.

or you could pick Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, and try a System Restore.

let's try and get that old laptop started, it'll be one of the fastest way forward if all you are after is access to your data.

although personally, I'd still be pulling the hard drive out and whacking it into an external enclosure; 1) you'll get quick, direct access to the data and 2) it can later be used as a backup unit.

start the old laptop (with your USB disconnected) and when you see Windows trying to start, hold in the power button to turn it off.

repeat a few times and eventually Windows will force you into Advanced Startup Options.

pick Troubleshoot, then Reset This PC, then Keep My Files.

or you could pick Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, and try a System Restore.

I've already tried that a few times and that was my first option and it just gets stuck at preparing automatic repair.

Is the laptop that you are trying to recover from using Windows 10, or is it the new laptop you've bought that is using Windows 10?

Yes the old one with windows 10 I'm trying to recover my files and the new laptop that I bought came with windows 10 also.

• Moderators

well, you have only a couple of options left.

1) remove the hard drive for data recovery or 2) get the laptop started from your USB stick.

option 1) involves buying an external drive enclosure from any computer store for under $AUD20.

removing the laptop drive, inserting it into the enclosure, connecting it to the new laptop and bingo, done.

option 2) involves getting a bootable Windows OS on that stick.  It will need to be Windows as Recuva doesn't work on Linux distros.

then setting up the BIOS on that laptop to boot from the USB stick.

Recuva needs to be installed, and ran, from the USB stick as you don't want to store anything on the laptop drive that could overwrite the very files you are trying to recover.

the laptop drive will then need to be 'seen' by the USB OS and a drive letter assigned to it for Recuva to see it.

then the massive time required to run Recuva.

Thank you so much. The thing with option 1 is I don't really want to take the laptop apart because I've had issues in the past where I take apart something and forget where to put the items back to its original place or I accidently break something without knowing it. Option 2 sounds really good but I have a few questions. So i have to install a windows recovery into my usb stick and when its done do I extract the recuva portable version zip file into a created folder in the usb stick and how do I do this one:

the laptop drive will then need to be 'seen' by the USB OS and a drive letter assigned to it for Recuva to see it.

• Moderators

what's the make/model of the old laptop?

as to hard drive removal, they fall into 3 categories; (in order of PITA)

1) flip the unit over, unscrew the access panel, hard drive is right there to be removed.

2) the hard drive lives under the keyboard which has 3 or 4 little 'catches' that are pried out with a flat head, small screwdriver.

3) the damn laptop has to be almost completely stripped to access the drive, screws and plastic moulding everywhere.

if you have no future plans for the old laptop, this would still be my preferred solution.

because the USB stick approach has a lot of hurdles to overcome.

when you mention the Recuva portable zip file, are you referring to the system image Recuva Pro can do?

• Moderators

Is your machine set to boot from USB?

See 'answer' given here on how to do it

https://superuser.com/questions/863018/boot-from-usb-not-working-acer-aspire-e1-522

Perhaps as well as Windows try putting ubuntu on a usb and see if you can see your docs

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Yes its set to boot from the usb and last time I put a windows recovery into the usb and use it, nothing happens as I just get stuck on the logo and none of the preparing windows pop up and it just stays on the logo for an hour or two but I will try ubuntu.

• Moderators

Have you tried running CHKDSK by any chance?

Trouble is he cannot boot the machine or access it at all  :(

Okay well done in getting into Ubuntu Recuva51017 :)

It might be an idea to make sure that any built up staic from all boot attempts has been removed. Remove your battery and power lead, press and hold in the power button for about 20 seconds, then plug power lead back in and turn on machine. Then pop the battery back in.

Try things again.

Your Ubuntu file access error

https://askubuntu.com/questions/462381/cant-mount-ntfs-drive-the-disk-contains-an-unclean-file-system

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

your Aspire laptop lies in between my option 2 and 3 from post #10.

all base screws (in the order of 15) come out, then the bottom and top mouldings are pried apart, I find a guitar pick works best.

then the two data ribbons are disconnected.

would take about 5 minutes all up.

then you have full access to the drive.

here is a YouTube link of a similar model;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRXHRyrrF4

just keep that option in the back of your mind - the time spent getting the USB stick option working versus the effort to remove the drive.

sometimes we get committed to one approach and blind to others and feel we have expended too much effort to back out now. :) .