Ccleaner removing IE7 Uninstall Entries

Xero

So... I completely missed this problem until I went to install beta 3... and have ignored it for a while now thinking maybe I'll just get it figured out later... I had some time so I tried to find a solution today and came across this thread. I was excited until I clicked on the link for the uninstall folder... had an error from bravenet and it wouldn't come up.

So, is there somewhere else I can find the files? :(

So... I completely missed this problem until I went to install beta 3... and have ignored it for a while now thinking maybe I'll just get it figured out later... I had some time so I tried to find a solution today and came across this thread. I was excited until I clicked on the link for the uninstall folder... had an error from bravenet and it wouldn't come up.

So, is there somewhere else I can find the files? :(

I'm sorry, but this thread was in reference to IE7 Beta 2. The same solution does not work for Beta 3.

IF, you tick the box that says "Hotfix Uninstaller" under the Andvanced options you will never be able to remove IE7 Beta 3 from your PC without reformatting. With Beta 2 we could use someone else's Uninstaller folder, as Andy uploaded it for people. But with Beta 3 this cannot be done.

In addition, CCleaner does not know how to handle the cookies, and will clean your IE7 Beta cookies even if you tell it to keep them.

"Please note that this build is intended for technical enthusiasts. Be aware that *I* expect you to be ready, willing and able to reformat your system if things go wrong - therefore, if you come to the groups and say "IE7 killed my machine but I have no backup and can't reformat, I hate Microsoft" you won't be getting much in the way of sympathy from me ;o)

This upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 focuses primarily on bug and compatibility issues and is currently available in English for XP SP2, x64 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 on June 26, 2006. Other languages are to come soon (German, Japanese, Finnish & Arabic).

Uninstallation instructions - these are quite different to what has gone before.

IE7 Beta 3 creates this directory:

C:\WINDOWS\ie7beta3

In that directory is an spuninst folder. Inside that folder is spuninst.exe as well as a very interesting document called spuninst.txt which details exactly what will be deleted and replaced with older copies during uninstall of IE7 Beta 3.

Now, in the past some have offered their own copies of the uninstall directory when others have foolishly deleted their own copies, or third party software has done it for them. But be warned, there is more to removing IE7 Beta 3 than just that directory. A directory called C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$ is also edited/created during the installation of IE7 Beta 3, and it is full of various security update folders. The potential for damage if you take somebody else's C:\Windowsie7beta3 and install it on your own system to remove the beta is incalculable. On my system $NtUninstallKB915865$ and $NtUninstallKB904942$ were also created/updated."

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

The files are still on there for beta2, I just had a couple of problems with my site yesterday but its resolved now.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks AndyManchesta for the IE7 uninstall files. Somebody from microsoft IE7 blog told me that I need to reinstall windows to remove IE7 b2!!!! Micrsoft always scary>...

I think I also lost uninstall files for Gnucleus, P2P network. I haven`t found that yet.

Hi Davinci, Welcome the the forum :)

Glad the files helped, Ive had alot of emails asking for other versions recently so there is now files on there for beta2 preview, beta2 refresh and the final beta2 but I don't think they will be needed much longer as I believe the bug has been fixed in Ccleaner. I'll keep the files there for anyone who needs them though as it beats telling people to Reinstall Windows :P

I don't think Ccleaner would of removed Gnucleus's Uninstaller as this bug was just because of the Hotfix uninstall option but if you are missing files, have you tried to reinstall it on top of itself as it might be able to repair it.

http://www.gnucleus.com/Gnucleus/general/download.html

Andy

Hi Baling

you will have to try find a site that still has beta1 available to download then it's easy to upload the uninstall files, Im not aware of any site that still has that version.

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

sorry, I'm hoping someone can help me. I tried to follow your instructions, Andy, and I don't understand what you mean when you instructed me to :"Move the extracted $NtUninstallie7b2pmx$ folder into the Windows folder" I'm not so great with this computer stuff.... I just want to uninstall IE 7 beta 2 and re- download IE 6 I have microsoft XP home edition. I went to "start" and then "run" when cut and pasted what you typed it said "file couldn't be found" or something like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

--Jess

Here's a replacement IE7 folder if anyone needs it (Approx 8MB)

$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$.zip

Instructions to remove IE7 using the uninstall command and a list of files Ccleaner removes is here:

IE7_RemovedFiles.txt

Hi Jess

The replacement files are really only needed if you used an older version of Ccleaner on the Hotfix uninstaller option as that would of removed the uninstaller file for IE7 Beta, if you havent used an older version then first check the Add/Remove screen for the IE7 entry (Start Menu > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs) and uninstall it from there if its listed.

If you have removed the uninstaller using Ccleaner then when you try to remove it using the Add/Remove screen it will show the file isnt found and remove it from the list, this is when you will need to replace its folder

There is afew versions of beta 2 (preview. refresh and the final beta2) so it would have to be the same version you have to work correctly, I do have the uninstallers for other versions but this is the most common one that is needed.

First download this file

http://andymanchesta.com/IE7/$NtUnins...b2pmx$.zip and save it to your desktop

right click the .zip file and choose Extract All

this will create a second folder on your desktop named $NtUninstallie7b2pmx$

Right click that folder and choose Copy

Next goto Start Menu > My Computer > C:\Drive > Windows

When the Windows folder opens right click an Empty space and choose Paste

Once that has been copied into the Windows folder goto Start Menu > Run > and copy and paste

"C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.exe"

Press OK and it then should start the uninstall of IE7

Let us know if you have any problems

Andy

• 3 months later...

Hi Fabio

This topic is quite old so wouldnt apply to the present version of IE7, Have you tried the tips on this page ?

http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

If you still cannot uninstall, could you give more details on what's happening when you try using the Add/Remove screen icon or by running the uninstall command ?

Andy