Opinions needed regarding best free anti-rootkit programs

razz

Well I won't be installing Malwarebytes 3 anytime soon, let them bugfix it for a few more months then perhaps I'll install it.

I use it on our two PCs (Windows 7) & our two laptops (Windows 10) for on-demand scans only and it runs with no issues.  However, I would not run it with real-time protection (i.e. the paid version (for those who don't know)).  Perhaps the day will come that I'll try it but I can't see that happening in the near future.

I remember using the paid version of Malwarebytes 2 (note "2", not "3") many years ago when I was running XP and I often had OS freezing issues.  Malwarebytes support tried to help (one attempted fix was to delay start on power-up by 5 minutes) but we never did solve the freezing problem.  Who knows what the problem was!  Anyway, as soon as I disabled real-time protection and only used it for on-demand scans, no more freezing problems.

In any case, that left a bitter taste in my mouth in regards to their real-time protection.   :wacko:

Andavari, are you running or have you ever run Malwarebytes 2 real-time protection on your XP system - if so, have you had any issues?

I tried 3.1, which was released recently. It actually runs really well and a lot better and faster then the previous version.

I wonder what is wrong with software today, I thought it was just gaming that was unoptimized, but it seems like even software are too. I wonder if it's a problem with the programming languages themself. Maybe that's why Mozilla made Rust and Google made Go.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

I wanted to try Trend Micro's Rootkit Buster version 5 (64-bit) but on my Windows 10 laptop it failed to work as intended.  It finished its scan in 1 second and logged a report which was very obviously not correct.  I'll try running it on my Windows 7 PC later.

• 1 month later...

SAS is what I put onto my mothers Win10 laptop last month after Dell tech support's rubbish attempt to disinfect it using Trojan Remover (hadn't even thought of that product in like 10 years). I scanned with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender but they didn't detect anything, I then scanned with SAS and it detected the problem and disinfected the system.

Andavari, I missed this portion of your post when I read it in May.  Just wanted to say that this in itself speaks so well for SAS.  I hope SAS never disappears.   :)

• Moderators

Andavari, are you running or have you ever run Malwarebytes 2 real-time protection on your XP system - if so, have you had any issues?

And I missed this part of your post back in May, only just noticed it today.

After not using MBAM for nearly a year I tried real-time protection in 2.21 early last year but it was too heavy so I wasn't going to pay for that feature, I disabled it minutes after installing MBAM 2.21. Needless to say I never used real-time protection long enough to encounter OS issues other than resource/RAM usage it needed.

Earlier this year when I briefly tried Malwarebytes 3 which fully enables real-time protection it was also too heavy. By too heavy I'm referring to using MBAM/MB alongside a traditional antivirus.

Although the heavy resource/RAM issue is because it was installed on XP. Someone on XP may be able to use Malwarebytes with a non-resource hungry antivirus like the freeware Panda Security (formerly "Panda Free Antivirus") if they don't mind also installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and if said system has the maximum allowed RAM installed - although people doing that also have to remember that web browsers Firefox (Firefox clones) and Chrome (Chrome clones) require allot of RAM themselves on XP.

• Moderators

I wonder what is wrong with software today, I thought it was just gaming that was unoptimized, but it seems like even software are too.

The "current" generation of games specifically referring to PS4 / PS4 Pro like to crash allot, and are generally bug ridden to a hideous flaw. Look at Fallout 4 and it has issues on every platform including PC. The only modern game that has never once crashed on me or given issue is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.