nVidia GTX 1080 8 GB recognized as 4 GB

• Moderators

can you start an elevated command prompt, type in wmic and hit Enter.

then paste in this and hit Enter; PATH Win32_VideoController WHERE "VideoProcessor LIKE '%GTX%'" GET /format:list

what is in the Adapter RAM field?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I have the same issue, but with a Quadro P4000 video card.

Both the Quadro and GTX 1080 EXOC are NVIDIA cards, are Pascal-based, and have the GP104 GPU.  Maybe Speccy will be updated to have these GPUs or the Pascal architecture included in its database (or in whatever place such information would need to be) sometime?

Like chorabr, I use Windows 10 Pro x64, v. 1703.

The entry above you suggested for chorabr PATH gives me a "No instance(s) Available" result, but I'm guessing it's because the entry is for the 1080 card.  I tried it anyway just to see what I'd get.

• Moderators

it relies on the string "GTX" being in the firmware field VideoProcessor so perhaps it's not.

use this command instead; PATH Win32_VideoController GET /format:list

check the AdapterRAM field (and out of curiosity, let me know what was in the VideoProcessor field).

Hello,

In the AdapterRAM file, I have this: 4293918720

In the VideoProcessor field, I have this: Quadro P4000

Other programs/applications I've used (e.g., HWiNFO, GPU-Z) report the 8GB of RAM on the card.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

sorry, no ideas as to why Speccy isn't showing the actual RAM, although it does seem to be correctly showing the RAM that is being passed through WMI.

the Devs to see these posts but won't chime in unless more info is needed or some test required.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

A slight bit of thread mining, but I'm running a Nvidia Quadro K5200 (8gb GPU) and Speccy also says it's only 4gb.

I have a Z420, running Win 10 Pro x64 v.1703....

You manoeuvre with the eloquence of a fiery wall of disintegrating fuselage...

• 1 year later...

A bit late to the party, but I have the same issue, GTX 1080 shows 8 GB in GPU-Z but shows 4 GB in Speccy.  Here's a screenshot.

@mta my return value for that command (including GTX) has for AdapterRAM "4293918720" (wait, if I divide enough by 1024, that's 4095, same as Speccy).  My VideoProcessor is indeed "GeForce GTX 1080".  Why are both of these off from not only GPU-Z (and CPU-Z), but also from the manufacturer who clearly wouldn't ship the product with half the RAM hoping no one would notice, I mean unless I'm the first person to notice.

speccy vs gpuz.png

• Moderators

yeah, sorry, can't explain that.

so it actually has 8GB, two separate programs support that.

but at least Speccy is really only passing on what it's finding out for itself.
if Speccy is using that AdapterRAM field, then it's obviously either the wrong field or some multiplier needs to be factored in based on some other info Speccy is missing.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 07/06/2020 at 19:54, joe Skutt said:

Because win32 32biti cannor read more 4 Gb :), u need speccy 64biti :) that was a error:)

Nope, Speccy 64Bit also shows only 4095KB of GPU RAM for my 8GB RTX2070. Also shows an incorrect screen resolution as well. Shows 2560x1440 when the correct resolution is 3840x2160.

Every other piece of software that does a similar/same task shows the correct information, just Speccy that doesn't. Seems to be too many issues with at least two of the 4 Piriform products as Defraggler also incorrectly identified my spinning 3.5" RAID array drives as a SSD (also warns of potential problems of running a defrag on SSD's when attempted) & a 2.5" Samsung 860 EVO SSD as a normal HDD (which if ran a defrag on that could damage the drive itself or at least lessen the storage available due to TRIM).

Also wondering what issues that have not been discovered yet in CCleaner & Recuva. These faults are also in the paid for Pro versions as well & instead of Piriform wanting to fix the problems, they just refunded my payment & cancelled my key.

speccyissues.jpg

defragglerissues.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...