Issue with windows 10 creator update and cccleaner.

xlr8

The Windows.old folder takes too much place, i realy would like to remove it.

I didn't try with ccleanr 5.32, is it fixed now? And is it working well with windows cleaner tool?

I think they can't really fix the issue with the folder "Windows.old". Therefore, I hope they disable that option.

I recommend to use Windows "Disk cleanup" to remove the old Windows version. If there are some files left after cleaning, you can boot Windows in Safe Mode and use "Disk cleanup" again.

• Moderators

Thanks for the info . Tested out CC v5.30 and its working wonderfully !

any reason why you didn't get the latest v5.32 ?  (just curious)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I think they can't really fix the issue with the folder "Windows.old". Therefore, I hope they disable that option.

I recommend to use Windows "Disk cleanup" to remove the old Windows version. If there are some files left after cleaning, you can boot Windows in Safe Mode and use "Disk cleanup" again.

last I heard, the problem with CC cleaning the windows.old folder was not being looked into any further as the issue could not be replicated in the labs.

general consensus is to still use CLEANMGR to clean that folder.

best method for that is to start an elevated command prompt (extra cleanmgr options are available from an elevated prompt)

type in cleanmgr c: /sageset:1

tick the options you want, or all of them.

then type cleanmgr c: /sagerun:1

the sageset command sets and remembers your options.

the sagerun command does the actual cleaning.

last I heard, the problem with CC cleaning the windows.old folder was not being looked into any further as the issue could not be replicated in the labs.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

As far as I know, the problem occurs only if Windows refers to drivers in the windows.old folder. Using CLEANMGR (= "Disk cleanup") should be safe.

• 1 month later...

In Registry Cleaner, Ccleaner reports "Application Path Issue" for the program : C:\Windows\System32\UNPUXWorker.exe although this path is absolutely correct after checking. Is this a true issue or not ?

I am using Windows 10 Creators update.

Thanks for clarification. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use Ccleaner allready a long time (free versin). Without any reason as far s I can see it disapeared from my pc. I tried to re-install but during the install procedure there is a failure alle the time. I made a screenshot, but I dont see how to post it here. It is in dutch: fout bij schrijven naar bestand, withe the qurtion, afbreken, negeren, doorgaan. All the options dont work.

• 2 weeks later...

best method for that is to start an elevated command prompt (extra cleanmgr options are available from an elevated prompt)

type in cleanmgr c: /sageset:1

tick the options you want, or all of them.

then type cleanmgr c: /sagerun:1

the sageset command sets and remembers your options.

the sagerun command does the actual cleaning.

Hi all, longtime fan of ALL Piriform products, escpecially CCleaner.

Just ran into this Windows.old "nuking" issue yesterday on this brand new ASUS PC: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-zen-aio-23-8-touch-screen-all-in-one-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-quartz-gray/5732324.p?skuId=5732324

Got home, took computer out of box, booted it up, let it do its windows setup process, then windows updates, then a restart. Checked for updates again and got the creators update offer. 

Note: I had NOT installed ccleaner at any point yet.

Did the creators update, all was well.

Went ahead and installed the latest version of CCleaner, checked Remove old Windows installations... ran ccleaner. all was well.... until i restarted it. and now it won't boot.

From what I've read here, sounds like ccleaner deleted some ASUS drivers the PC needed.

This seems to still be happening with CCleaner. I can't tell you which version of CCleaner is on there since the machine won't boot, but I downloaded it from your site yesterday (October 5, 2017).

Thank you for your help,

Kyle

• Moderators

As you had Win 10 already installed it will be activated and the key saved on the Microsoft servers.

This means you can just install Win 10 again.

You will need to download the iso file from here (get a friend to download it for you and get them to chose the option which says 'use the tool to create installation media')

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I've recently update my windows 10 (Windows 10 version 1709 x64 system). Today, I have cleaning my windows registry with the free version of Ccleaner (v5.35.6210 64 bits) and when i have  restarted my windows, the start menu was not working anymore. I should restore my registry with the ccleaner registry backup to restore the start menu. Have Ccleaner a problem with this new update of windows 10 ?

• Moderators

It''s not so much Windows 10 as the whole concept of registry cleaner. 

Registry cleaning is a technique used for cleaning up a computer that has problems, eg. after malware etc. has had to be removed.

It's not something to do on a regular basis.

It won't speed up your machine or save much space, and as you have found it can cause problems sometimes.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

the other issue you may have ran into is running an old CC version with a brand new OS.

even if you have the latest CC, there are no guidelines on what MS have done to the registry with Win10 v1709 and in what format CC expects the registry to be in.

• Moderators

Thank you for your response.

I thought that old registry caused performance problems on the system

In the old days this may have been true, but with newer Windows operating systems (since Vista) the registry is stored differently and does not need regular cleaning.

Microsoft themselves no longer supply a registry cleaner utility, and their official stance is not to use one on a regular basis.

Microsoft’s official position on the use of Registry Cleaners
  1. Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners
  2. Microsoft is not responsible for issues caused by using a registry cleaning utility.
  3. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the use of a registry cleaning utility can be solved

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-support-registry-cleaners-windows

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...

I have used CCleaner for years and NEVER had an issue with Windows 10 and CCleaner until Avast took over.

Today for the 1st time in ages, I had a GSOD and had to rollback my Win 10 build. This happened immediately after

getting the latest CCleaner update this AM. So I guess CCleaner is going bye bye for me after all these years.

• Moderators

g'day @Soozy and welcome to the forum,

try this;
uninstall your current version first.
then go into the Program Files folder for CC and delete its contents (keep the .ini file if you have customised settings).
download the latest build from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
reboot the PC
install CC from your downloaded file.

if no luck, try the install with the PC in Safe Mode.
if still no luck, try the Slim or Portable builds to see if they work.

Sorry, but as a Windows 10 Insider I don't want to take the chance of this happening with every new build we get (once a week).

I'm not the only Windows Insider seeing this. Several posted to the Windows 10 Feedback and not just involving CCleaner.

I believe the Avast AV is also causing an issue.

Thank you for trying to help.

• Moderators

Oh, Windows Insider, then in that case all bets are off, as with any Beta software, CC is not officially support.

That's fine, I don't have a problem with that. I have used CC have 3 years while testing Insider builds and never had

an issue until Avast took over. I just felt that the Avast people should be made aware of the issue as Microsoft was made aware.

• Moderators

Blaming CCleaner, or any software, for a problem when running an insider build would seem to indicate that you do not know just what an insider build is.

As mta says, insider builds are beta testing versions of Windows 10.
They are there so that compatibility issues caused by changes to Windows 10 can be found by the 'insiders' before the changes are fully released.

Insider builds are expected to have issues - that is what they are for, to find the issues that Microsoft have caused with their modifications.

Any issue with any software and an insider build is 99% sure the be the fault of the insider build.

The software developer cannot do anything about this, they don't know just what Microsoft are playing about with.

Sorry, but as a Windows 10 Insider I don't want to take the chance of this happening with every new build we get (once a week).

The only way to avoid any potential issues is to stop using insider builds and use the fully released Windows 10.

As long as you use insider builds you are going to have occasional issues with software incompatibility.

I am very well aware what Insider testing is about and using Insider builds.

My point was to make CCleaner aware that there is an issue SINCE Avast took over Piriform.

If a software company is not interested in input about their product, that's fine.

As stated I and others had no issues with a GSOD until the newest CCleaner update.

And other software developers ARE interested in issues that arise with their programs and Windows 10 builds.

These developers willingly work with MS to clear up a problem or find the cause.

• Moderators

did this issue start happening four months ago when Avast took over Piriform?

or did it happen since the last Insider update?