Question regarding updating MVPS file in HostsXpert

razz

@ Andavari - you mentioned using HostsXpert in the following post:  https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47985&p=281658

Can you tell me what procedure you use to update the MVPS file in HostsXpert.  I seem to be having difficulties   :(

Naturally anyone else who knows the procedure, please feel free to tell me   :)

• Moderators

In HostsXpert you have to disable the HOSTS files read-only attribute first:

1. In the "File Handling" tab click Make Writable? - it's in red bold text at the very top.

2. Click "Download" then click MVPs Hosts... - it will now download and replace the old version if there's an update.

3. Rather there's an update or not, when done go back into "File Handling", and click Make ReadOnly? - it's in black bold text at the very top.

Edit:

For people on older systems like WinXP after installing or changing the HOSTS file you need to log off, and then log on for the changes to properly take effect - or restart the computer.

Edited by Andavari

Thanks Andavari, it's working great now.  The problem was that the DNS was running and thus HostsXpert would not download.  Within services.msc I had previously changed DNS from automatic to manual but when I just checked a few minutes ago it was running again.  This time I disabled the DNS and rebooted and then HostsXpert worked perfectly.

I guess I should leave DNS disabled.

Thanks for tip #3 - I had never done that - i.e. leave File Handling as Make Read Only.  It certainly makes sense to do that.

Read-only doesn't stop malware from modifying it, or dubious websites that have a script to empty your HOSTS file so that their advertising isn't blocked.

Did you mean to type "doesn't stop"?  Would read only not stop any modification?