Android on your PC

craigathus

Has anyone here tried this ?

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22665/run-android-on-your-netbook-or-desktop/

I have a bunch of movies on my Android Tablet that I purchased from Google Play, anyway I thought this might be worth trying so as I could watch them on my PC. 

• Moderators

Haven't seen that craig although I have been recently looking at desktop pc's running Android.

I'll be giving it a try on a USB stick for sure. Makes a change from all the Linux distros I've tried from USB.

Haven't seen that craig although I have been recently looking at desktop pc's running Android.

I'll be giving it a try on a USB stick for sure. Makes a change from all the Linux distros I've tried from USB.

I"m assuming that I can download my purchases "movies" again to > android on my PC.

So I might wait and see how it go's for you 1st Dennis  :D

• Moderators

So I might wait and see how it go's for you 1st Dennis

It didn't go at all craig.

It looked exactly like my phone in every way, but on a big screen.

The trouble is all I could do  was browse with it. I had the option to transfer all my apps etc from my phone, but it kept telling me to turn wifi on. Play Store was accessible but tripped out both times I accessed it.

And unlike a normal Linux distro, you can't access anything outside of the OS. You can't mount a drive and play your music for example. If you want music you would have to install it onto the USB stick.

Mind you, the browser was pretty slick and had a beautiful look to it.

Interesting exercise, but for me pretty useless.

Thanks for the info Dennis  :)

I might give it a go... and as for wifi... well my desktop machine like all my other devices connect to the net via a wifi 4G hot spot device  :D 

Got no phone line for ADSL out here in the wild south west of Victoria :lol:   

Hang in there Craig, I like you am located in the Sth West of Vic (Grampians) but have access to "fixed wireless" which is excellent so hopefully it will be in your area soon, although I'm not sure where you are. 

Not sure what file format your movies are but I run Kodi_XBMC (free download) on my Nexus 7 Android 6.0 tablet which works well for movies which I use when 4 x 4 wandering, movies stored on a USB hard drive connected via "OTG" connecter cable.

Hope the above may assist, let me know.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Hang in there Craig, I like you am located in the Sth West of Vic (Grampians) but have access to "fixed wireless" which is excellent so hopefully it will be in your area soon, although I'm not sure where you are. 

Not sure what file format your movies are but I run Kodi_XBMC (free download) on my Nexus 7 Android 6.0 tablet which works well for movies which I use when 4 x 4 wandering, movies stored on a USB hard drive connected via "OTG" connecter cable.

Hope the above may assist, let me know.

Hi Tasgandy  :)

Pomonal ! Yeah I know where that is ! And I know the Grampians like the back of my hand :lol: I actually went to school at Halls Gap when I was a kid ! many many years ago.

These days I live in Hamilton.

Now when you say "fixed wireless" do you mean "FON" or "Telstra Air" or am I barking up the wrong tree?

My downloaded movies from Google Play are only playable on an Android device' or a Chrome Book' or through Chrome Cast to a TV  :unsure:

That's why I'm considering Android on my PC.

Neither Craig it is "NBN fixed wireless" go to: http://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/network-technology/fixed-wireless-explained.html for a correct explanation.

There are two areas that the NBN fixed wireless are being tested at present. My speed is excellent and adequate (25/5) compared to 3G which I was using. 

A fixed wireless connection is typically used in circumstances where the distance between premises can be many kilometres. In this circumstance data travels from a transmission tower located as much as 14kms from a premises to a rooftop antenna that has been fitted by an approved nbn™ Installer.

In my case I use Aussie Broadband at a cost of $60.00 per month with a DL limit of 500gig / month. So no complaints from me. Fixed wireless is supposed to be provided to that 10-15% of Australia that will not get the so-called normal "NBN".

Re Andriod for PC I've not every bothered to trial it but I do know one can actually purchase Laptops that run a Andriod OS. Whilst I do not know anyone that has one I'm sure based on my satisfactory use of Android 6.0 on my Nexus 7 can see no reason that using it on a PC would not be OK either via USB or Dual booting. Good luck, I would be interested to know how you go with it.  

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Neither Craig it is "NBN fixed wireless" go to: http://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/network-technology/fixed-wireless-explained.html for a correct explanation.

There are two areas that the NBN fixed wireless are being tested at present. My speed is excellent and adequate (25/5) compared to 3G which I was using. 

A fixed wireless connection is typically used in circumstances where the distance between premises can be many kilometres. In this circumstance data travels from a transmission tower located as much as 14kms from a premises to a rooftop antenna that has been fitted by an approved nbn™ Installer.

In my case I use Aussie Broadband at a cost of $60.00 per month with a DL limit of 500gig / month. So no complaints from me. Fixed wireless is supposed to be provided to that 10-15% of Australia that will not get the so-called normal "NBN".  

Ok thanks for the info  :)

Will be having a chat to my ISP soon since my 2 year contract with my 4G device is almost up.