Lost my Administrator Privileges in Windows 10 - need help!

razz

One more thing...

If I reinstall, how is the best way to copy:

1) ALL my Chrome set-up

2) My Thunderbird set-up (accounts, contacts)

3) Desktop

4) Start Menu

• Moderators

mta, within this topic you once wrote: "also don't forget Advanced Recovery Mode in Win10, you can tell it to Reset your PC keeping personal files or starting from scratch".  If I decide to reinstall, is this the best way to do it?  Also, should I select the keeping of personal files or start from scratch (assuming I have my stuff backed up)?

Yes, ARM would be your best way.

Sorry, I'm still old school and use the DVD or USB stick where I have my Windows installation files on.

I forget WIn10 can do it from ARM now. :)

Personally, when you use ARM I'd do the 'reset not keeping files' as I'd want to start from a clean as slate as possible - that is after all the reasoning behind the Windows reinstall in the first place.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks for the info mta.  By the way, I love your tag lines - very well put! - i.e:

This is a little bit off topic so please forgive me. What are you guys doing? This thread reads almost exactly like a Win95, or better yet WinME help-me post. I understand the basic jists of the comments, but it's like we're all still in 1995. I dabbled around with Partition Magic in 2002. I didn't know crap but I managed to make it work for a year or so. And I don't know doo-doo about deep computer stuff. You guys DO and have understood it longer than I ever have. And now it's 2017. And you STILL can't make heads or tails about certain PC things. And that's my big Corona rant. It sits there like the big pile of dog doo that it is. It stinks, it's squishy between your toes, and there's not a water fountain close enough to wash it off fast enough.

Before you blame me, Andavari told me to post this or he would beat me up. So there.

I'm glad this got posted, thanks to all.  Including Corona and his enigmatic rant.  :lol: 

What I got from it is how to get win 10 back on its feet when necessary, and where to go for help.  Very helpful to me, since i rarely use win 10.

Razz, I must join the camp who advocate doing a reinstall.  Just get your stuff copied somewhere safe and do it.  Maybe take a sedative first.  Then get your stuff put back and make an image and TRY the image.  It's intimidating, I can never get rid of the idea that something will surely go wrong. 

But when it goes right you get that feeling of WOO HOO, that actually worked.  :D 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

@corona,

Sorry but I've either completely missed some sort of implied sarcasm or something that you meant to be light-hearted has been lost in translation.

I thought we all have been (me definitely) helping out @razz with his legitimate issue.

If the advice from all of us has varied then that is the very nature of PERSONAL Computing isn't it.

Not only is there seldom only one way to skin the cat, but everyone has their own bias and experience, and with opinions being like armpits, we all think everyone else's stinks.

But as I said, maybe I missed the point of your rant completely.

@ Corona:  I agree with mta's comment (could not have said it any better):

"Sorry but I've either completely missed some sort of implied sarcasm or something that you meant to be light-hearted has been lost in translation."

I thought we all have been (me definitely) helping out @razz with his legitimate issue.

If the advice from all of us has varied

-- Yes!  All the help from everyone involved was GREATLY appreciated.

-- I didn't really think the advice on here varied much.  For one thing, all of you agree that I should now do a reinstall.  AND now, I finally agree.  Thanks to all.   :)

• Moderators

I agree to do the reinstall this time, next time you need to have your disk imaging in proper order to save your time. While a fresh start with Windows will undoubtedly fix all issues that still doesn't make it not suck.

I agree to do the reinstall this time, next time you need to have your disk imaging in proper order to save your time. While a fresh start with Windows will undoubtedly fix all issues that still doesn't make it not suck.

I absolutely agree.   :)

Just to let you know, the reinstall went well.  It was highly recommended on the Windows Ten Forum that I I download The Media Creation Tool and then download Windows 10 to a new USB.  Doing the reinstall this way I was able to save all my apps.  Hopefully now all will be fine in Dell Laptop land.   :) 

• Moderators

well done You!!!

• Moderators

Installing Windows was never difficult.

Now comes the absolute chore of reinstalling all of your user software and configuring the system the way you like it. That takes significantly longer than installing Windows.

Installing Windows was never difficult.

Now comes the absolute chore of reinstalling all of your user software and configuring the system the way you like it. That takes significantly longer than installing Windows.

Doing the reinstall via the Media Creation Tool, it saved all my programs.  If I have any problem in the future, I will do a complete clean install.  What's taking some time now is installing a bunch of Windows Updates.