Lost my Administrator Privileges in Windows 10 - need help!

razz

I am having a serious issue that I need help with asap.  Due to several things it seems that I have lost my administrator privileges on my laptop running Windows 10 Pro.  I can't remember my administrator password and therefore I can no longer download/uninstall or run programs, like CCleaner.  I have tried several suggestions I found online, but nothing has helped.

I had changed my login to windows to login using my Microsoft Account.  After that I wanted to change the name that was displayed and in my efforts to do that I'm sad to say I must have screwed up.  At some point I enabled the administrator account (which I now realize that I probably shouldn't have done).  The method I used to do that is shown in the attached image ending in "p1".  I tried to disable the administrator account via the same method (see attached ending in "p2"), but I was denied this change due to not having privilege.

At some point I changed my account to a "Local Account".  I now realize that was probably also an error.

I tried to restore from a Windows restore point, but I was denied access due to not having Administrator rights.  I also tried to restore via a back-up image that I had created a few days ago using AOMEI Backupper, but again I was denied access.

A couple of days ago I created an image using Macrium Reflect (Free).  On a page that is displayed just before the Windows sign-in page, I now have the option of using Windows 10 or Macrium Relect.  I tried clicking on Macrium Reflect and the program opened.  I must be an idiot because I couldn't figure out how to restore the image of my C Drive that I had created.  Perhaps it had been created wrong, who knows!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post-22722-0-88510100-1490797671_thumb.png

post-22722-0-30220700-1490797854_thumb.png

When you clicked the boot option for Macrium did you have the external drive/usb plugged in so that you could choose which image to restore?

I did have the USB drive plugged in but to be honest, I think the image for my C drive had been stored on my C drive when it did the backup.  I'm not sure where the "boot" option is located.

• Moderators

Okay.

Did you make a Macrium cd to start the pc with ?

When you made the image did you select the USB drive as the place where you wanted the image to be saved?

Did you just back up the C drive or did you select ''image the files that are needed for Windows to boot''?

Don't panic too much as all you need to do really if all else fails is copy your docs and pics to a usb drive and put Win 10 back on.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

My answers in bold:

Did you make a Macrium cd to start the pc with ?

No

When you made the image did you select the USB drive as the place where you wanted the image to be saved?

I don't recall being prompted to select the destination, thatt's why I think it saved to my C Drive.

Did you just back up the C drive or did you select ''image the files that are needed for Windows to boot''?

Just backed-up the C drive

Don't panic too much as all you need to do really if all else fails is copy your docs and pics to a usb drive and put Win 10 back on.

My laptop used to have Windows 7 and was updated to Windows 10 for free via online.  

• Moderators

Sounds like Macrium is not an option.

Because you now have Win 10 your activation key is saved on Microsoft servers so you will be auto activated if you do a reinstall.

A clean install will probably be your best option and you can set it up with a local account (you don't need to use a Microsoft account to install)

Remember save your docs and pics first!!

Do you feel up to it or do you want to try troubleshooting some more first?

EDIT... just seen your post at 10forums. Let's see how you get on there.

Don't worry, you will have a workable machine soon one way or another.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

If you created the boot CD or bootable USB stick with AOMEI Backuuper that's what I'd suggest using to fully restore your system since you are after all comfortable with that program.

Basically restore from the bootable medium that way your outside of Windows and aren't being locked out.

Caveat:

If you didn't have either disk imaging program backup all partitions when you imaged your system and you restore it can wreak havoc on your system.

Edited by Andavari
Removed my Macrium Reflect comment since it isn't an option.

• Moderators

some options on the 'nuke pc from space' decision.

like Hazel said, your WIn10 product key is stored with MS so no worries there.

it's also stored on your motherboard so you won't even need to enter it during installation.

also, during installation, Win10 will detect you already have a Windows installed and move all your files to windows.old so you don't need to do a backup - but I would be trying all the same.

also don't forget Advanced Recovery Mode in Win10.

you can tell it to Reset your PC keeping personal files or starting from scratch.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

- My reply in bold:

Do you feel up to it or do you want to try troubleshooting some more first?

EDIT... just seen your post at 10forums. Let's see how you get on there

Perhaps you'r right.  Let's see what comes from help on this forum and the Windows Ten Forum.

Don't worry, you will have a workable machine soon one way or another.

Thanks Hazel, not too worried, but it sure will be nice to have it sorted out   :)

@ Andavari:

I tried to access my back-up file created with AOMEI Backupper but in order to do so I need to open the program and once again, I was denied access   :angry:

I really don't know how many Partitions I have.  I know this sounds weird to you and many others.  I tried to find out by right-clicking the start button and selecting Disk Management, but again I was not allowed access.  Very frustrating!

your WIn10 product key is stored with MS so no worries there.

it's also stored on your motherboard so you won't even need to enter it during installation.

also don't forget Advanced Recovery Mode in Win10.

you can tell it to Reset your PC keeping personal files or starting from scratch.

-- So I would have no worries regarding the product key for Windows 10 even if I bought the laptop second hand with Windows 7 installed and upgraded to Windows 10 for free online?

-- Regarding Advanced Recovery, that's what was suggested on the Windows Ten Forum.  I am currently asking more about that on that forum.

Just wanted to mention: After all this gets sorted and I'm happy with how things are, a very good friend of mine will be helping me better understand the use of Macrium Reflect.  So I'll be much better prepared for any bad issues in the future.  :)

• Moderators

when you upgraded to WIn10 you used your 'digital entitlement' so now, as far as WIn10 or MS is concerned, you have a fully fledged version and all the entitlements that bears.

on getting into advanced recovery mode, read here; https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced-startup-options-in-windows-10-or-8-2626229

but for me, these are almost pointless because the (almost) only rime you need to is when bloody Windows won't start.

so I have to start the PC and as the Windows splash screen starts spinning, hold down the power button to force a shut down.

repeat that process a few times and eventually Windows will go "Hang on, why can't I start?" and kick you into ARM automatically.

• Moderators

I know from looking at an Aomei Backuuper review that it can restore from within Windows, the problem is if the backup image is stored on the operating system drive C:, that's a disaster.

After you get your system up and running with your preferences when you make a disk image backup do not store it on drive C:\, and also if you have a CD drive make the bootable CD or a bootable USB Thumb Drive by downloading the .ISO file that Aomei has on their website that way you can fully restore outside of the Windows environment and be up and running in minutes like nothing ever happened.

when you upgraded to WIn10 you used your 'digital entitlement' so now, as far as WIn10 or MS is concerned, you have a fully fledged version and all the entitlements that bears.

hold down the power button to force a shut down.  repeat that process a few times and eventually Windows will go "Hang on, why can't I start?" and kick you into ARM automatically.

-- Good to know, if I need to, that I can re-install windows with no problem.

-- As per request from Windows Ten Forum, I went into advanced recovery mode in order to change a registry key.  Turns out no change was necessary because it was the correct value.  Never knew this advanced recovery mode existed.

I know from looking at an Aomei Backuuper review that it can restore from within Windows, the problem is if the backup image is stored on the operating system drive C:, that's a disaster.

make the bootable CD or a bootable USB Thumb Drive by downloading the .ISO file that Aomei has on their website that way you can fully restore outside of the Windows environment and be up and running in minutes like nothing ever happened.

-- I have always backed up my system and files (with AOMEI Backupper) onto a USB drive.

-- I didn't know I should have downloaded the .ISO file on the AOMEI website.  I will for sure after I'm happy with how things are and do another backup.  Thanks for the advice.

YAY! Thanks to the help and guidance from Bree, a Moderator on Windows Ten Forums, my problem has been solved!

I'll try and explain how the problem was resolved:

When I went into the task manager, after clicking on the Administrator account from the login screen, and then running "netplwiz", I was able to change the Administrator password. But within my account, stuff still didn't work for me. I tried going into the Administrator account and could tell it accepted my new password because the little "welcome" message appeared on the password field (this hasn't happened before). However, as before, nothing happened for about a minute. Then a desktop appeared very briefly but it only showed the recycle bin and my Last Pass vault. After approx. 5 seconds it vanished and a black screen appeared. I waited for several minutes but nothing happened.

I then repeated the procedure to run "netplwiz" and this time I highlighted my account and on the next page selected "Group Membership" and then assigned Administrator rights to my account.

So it appears that the hidden Administrator account, which is now enabled (thus appearing as an option on the login screen) is just not working. Who knows why, perhaps it's corrupted somehow.

As per advice, I assume the smart thing to do is create another account and assign administrator rights to it.  Is this correct?  Also, will the new account naturally adopt all from my account?

Hazel, Andavari and mta, thank you all for your time and all your advice! 001.png

• Moderators

razz you have managed a lot, but if it were me, I would just back up my docs and pics and do a clean install as you will never be quite sure if anything else underneath the hood is corrupted.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hazel, I really do appreciate your advice.  I think for now I'll see how things go and keep your advice in mind if there is the slightest hint of any other problems.

Don't worry I'll be OK.  Besides my old laptop I have 2 PCs and my wife has a new laptop and any important stuff we have is stored on all 4 as well as a USB drive.   :)

• Moderators

If it was my PC @razz, I'd be agreeing with @hazelnut, I'd be taking the time to get my backups in order, my imaging process sorted and doing a reinstall.

Especially if you haven't done one, a reinstall that is, in a while (maybe never!) - it's a great way to trim the unused software and get Windows back to its top state.

The whole exercise is a great experience to have under your belt as PC's always tend to give you the most grief when you can least afford them to.

But you are right to 'put it off', it is a daunting task.  It's actually a whole lot easier than you may think; each step is quite painless, just watching the bouncing ball, there just happens to be a lot of little steps and people only see the whole picture instead of breaking it down into its component parts.

But to answer your question, if you create a new account it will not adopt all your old account settings; as far as Windows is concerned, it's a new, virgin user and will need setting up accordingly.

User-level stuff like wallpaper, screensaver, power management, Doc folder contents, email account etc will need setting up.  And you can copy/paste all your personal data out of the old user folders.

System-level stuff like, AV software, Office, Win Updates etc will be unaffected.

• Moderators

One way to figure out if it's only your user profile is to follow what mta wrote above.

I once had a corrupt user profile immediately after uninstalling some software which I suspect was probably the user's registry NTUSER.dat file many years before I ever got into disk imaging, and creating a new account and then copying+pasting over the files from the corrupt profile to the new one was easy (I literally copied everything from the corrupt profile to the new one - minus the user's registry NTUSER.dat). Although it's always a pain to reconfigure stuff exactly how you have Windows Explorer configured, etc., the looks and how the layout was configured is difficult to remember, which is why taking some screenshots of how you have stuff is very time-saving and screenshots are also time-saving if you decide to format or restore the system.

Edited by Andavari
sentence structure, and more info

If it was my PC @razz, I'd be agreeing with @hazelnut, I'd be taking the time to get my backups in order, my imaging process sorted and doing a reinstall.

Especially if you haven't done one, a reinstall that is, in a while (maybe never!) - it's a great way to trim the unused software and get Windows back to its top state.

The whole exercise is a great experience to have under your belt as PC's always tend to give you the most grief when you can least afford them to.

I agree it would be a great experience to have under my belt because I have never done a reinstall of Windows (our computer guru did it for us a couple of times).  So when I'm up to it, I'll probably give it a go.  :wacko:

mta, within this topic you once wrote: "also don't forget Advanced Recovery Mode in Win10, you can tell it to Reset your PC keeping personal files or starting from scratch".  If I decide to reinstall, is this the best way to do it?  Also, should I select the keeping of personal files or start from scratch (assuming I have my stuff backed up)?

it's always a pain to reconfigure stuff exactly how you have Windows Explorer configured, etc., the looks and how the layout was configured is difficult to remember, which is why taking some screenshots of how you have stuff is very time-saving and screenshots are also time-saving if you decide to format or restore the system.

I  did exactly that last night, took a bunch of screen shots.  I figured it would come in handy!   :)

BTW, by following instructions as per Windows Ten ForumI checked my system integrity with "sfc / scannow" and I ran the "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool, both in an elevated Command Prompt. Both had clean results.

127516d1491000488-lost-my-administrator-