Nintendo Switch

rridgely

• Moderators

Anybody here tried out the new Nintendo Switch yet?

I got one a few weeks ago when it came out and it is pretty cool. I was skeptical when it was announced but the thing works just like they said. Only downside at the moment is that there is really only one must play game (zelda) but I'm holding out hope that a lot more gets announced at E3 in June. So far Zelda is my favorite game of the year hands down (before this I just played Horizon Zero Dawn which was also awesome). 

My only complaint besides there only being one good game at the moment is that the controllers are kind of small. I got used it pretty quick but I also went out and got the pro controller which might be the best controller I've ever used. I would put it above the Xbox One/PS4 controller but its kinda pricey. 

• Moderators

In the YouTube videos I've seen showing snippets of Zelda it looks ok, but at the same time it also looks a bit different or off, or should I say weird stylistically.

I personally won't buy a Switch because Nintendo is too big on selling extra hardware like different controllers for a particular game or whatever and I'm not interested in that kind of an investment, also the games seem more geared towards kids or young people. The portability of it really wouldn't interest me either, and that portability has been causing scratches on some of the units when placing them into the docking station for playback on a TV.

• Moderators

Zelda is actually really nice looking while your playing it. I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn which was more technically impressive but Zelda still looked really good for its art style. I would say that Zelda was  more fun overall though because there are so many things you can do in it. The game is actually pretty hard. I've already beat the main game and I'm going back to do side quests and there are still enemies that can kill me in just a hit or two. You have to play smart or your done. 

I saw the scratch issue. I bought a screen protector(tempered glass) for like $8 on amazon but I didn't see any scratches on mine before that either. I read that it was because of of the docks were bent in production/shipping to where the rubbed the screen strangely. If you see one at a store or something you should give it a try. Its a pretty slick piece of hardware and it all feels really solid/well built. I was worried with all the removing of controllers and clicking that it would feel cheap but its really nice. Not ipad level but still very well made.