WinPatrol Plus lifetime license on sale, is it worth it?

razz

WinPatrol Plus lifetime license is currently on sale.  For my needs, a 3 user lifetime license is $70 ($30 off regular price).  For comparison, the annual 3 user license costs $20.

I have used WinPatrol (i.e. not Plus) for many, many years and now wondering if it's worth buying this lifetime license for WinPatrol Plus.

Any comments?

• Moderators

I last play with WP something like 8 years ago and never found it useful for me - had other, free, programs that covered what it was trying do.

But that was ages ago, I shall give it another spin and see what it offers.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Ok, it all came back to me, had a fiddle, and it was Scotty that I used to monitor start-up changes.

It's certainly grown-up since then.  Was back in XP (maybe w98) days.

Looks like it would be well worth it for that price but the thing is, now I have MBAM Premium, CC, MVPS Hosts, Norton's IS.

WinPatrol covers the same areas.

I like multi-layered security but not double-ups.

It would certainly be an option if I didn't have MBAM actively doing pretty much what WP is offering.

WP have been around for ages and that special offering should definitely get some attraction.

So if you are currently using the non-Pro version Razz, it looks a perfect time to upgrade.

So if you are currently using the non-Pro version Razz, it looks a perfect time to upgrade.

I will be strongly considering it.  Thanks for your input mta.   :)

• Moderators

I last play with WP something like 8 years ago and never found it useful for me...

I tried out WinPatrol Free edition last month, and while I understand how some people like it it just isn't for me and never was. That and it always seems late to catch a modification - however if I'm remembering correctly I think that's a set-in limitation in the free edition.

I could see where it could perhaps help old WinXP computers that are getting dropped left and right by antivirus and anti-malware vendors as a layer of security, but I don't need it.

What's more interesting is their WinPatrol WAR an anti-ransom and anti-malware - I wonder how it compares to Malwarebytes who's anti-ransom doesn't work on WinXP systems for whatever odd reason.

Edited by Andavari
typos

I understand how some people like it it just isn't for me and never was.

What's more interesting is their WinPatrol WAR an anti-ransom and anti-malware - I wonder how it compares to Malwarebytes who's anti-ransom doesn't work on WinXP systems for whatever odd reason.

What I have always used WinPatrol for is:

1) For the alerts it gives you if something (for one example: newly installed programs) is trying to put itself in the start menu.  As most of you likely know, you then have the option of not allowing it.  For me this was my main reason for using WinPatrol.

2) As a quick way to check what's in your program start-up folder and if desired, easy removal of the item.

3) A quick way to delay any start-up program.

I have been looking at WinPatrol's other programs as well, including the Firewall.

Basically what I am in the midst of doing is trying to decide if in addition to my other security precautions, if I need a real-time anti-malware program, like for example Malwarebytes 3.  I guess in regards to this, I should post in the Security Forum.

• Moderators

Malwarebytes 3 was "so good" <sarcasm> with it's 4x faster scanning (it actually scanned slower on my system) I downgraded to 1.75 and I wasn't liking the very slow startup times of 1.75 with right-click scanning so I installed 2.2.1 and will stick with that until they either fix 3.0 or replace it with another supposedly "improved" version.

They really haven't been getting much positive feedback since first introducing the 2.x version I've noticed.

• Moderators

@Razz,

in my opinion, real time malware protection has become a must.

it doesn't matter what program does it for you, as long as you have some sort of program covering that area, in real time.

with the AV software I have played with, none of them include malware protection.

for me, for whatever lucky reason, MBAM is working flawlessly and I personally can thoroughly recommend it.

perhaps a few times a week, it'll pop up a window saying the site I was about to go to has been blocked due to malware activity or history on that site.

my only issue with MBAM is about 1 in 10 PC boots, it pops up "your protection is not running, start it now?" window.

but their forum is full of complaints from what seems like a majority of users - it'll be good to have all the users without issue to chime in to get a feel for how many it is simply working for.

@Razz,

in my opinion, real time malware protection has become a must.

From what I have read here on Piriform and on quite a few Security Forums, with few exceptions, all advise running real-time malware protection. I have not been able to find any free real-time anti-malware programs so now for me the question is which product is currently the best bang for the buck.

• Moderators

Oh, nice post on Bleeping Computer by quietman7 there Hazelnut, thanks for the link. :)

• Moderators

Have a look at Zemana.

That's my current preference over Malwarebytes. In a YouTube malware test I looked at maybe 1 or 2 months ago both HitMan Pro and Zemana detected more than Malwarebytes 3 with Zemana winning the test. Malwarebytes 3 detection in various YouTube videos doesn't give me confidence with it.

Have a look at Zemana. I use the paid version on XP and Win 7.

It works on Win 10 too.

https://www.zemana.com/

According to some replies to a post I posted on Wilders Security Forum (  https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/4-questions-regarding-malware-programs.392868/#post-2661464 ), Zemana is now MalwareFox.  As a result of this, I downloaded MalwareFox and currently have 1 week left in the trial period.  Seems like a good product; however, from what I have experienced, their email support sucks big time.  I submitted two questions, one 5 days ago and one 3 days ago, and zero response (other than a confirmation email).  Due to this I just submitted another email, as shown below:

I am currently running a trial of your software.  The program seems good but I am really not sure I want to pay for your product, my reasons are as follows:
(1) I have submitted two tickets, one was 5 days ago and so far have had no reply other than a confirmation email that the tickets were received.  This is just not acceptable!  Would you buy a program that has lousy support?
(2) Your support URL shows up as not trustworthy on WOT (Web of Trust - as you know, a long time established site).

I'm anxious to see if they'll respond to that email.

Perhaps Zemana is still Zemana and the information regarding them now being MalwareFox is not correct.  One thing I know for sure, the GUI of MalwareFox is identical to the image on the Zemana website you linked to.

• Moderators

It's just a rebranding and by now they would've changed the website if it were renamed to that, possibly something to do with different markets - I don't personally know but it's weird to say the least.

If unpacking the installer it goes by several names with different licenses in it with several different main program icons, etc. When I first saw this in the unpacked installer it gave me concern and confusion but the VirusTotal results stated it was clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at Zemana. I use the paid version on XP and Win 7.

It works on Win 10 too.

https://www.zemana.com/

That's my current preference over Malwarebytes. In a YouTube malware test I looked at maybe 1 or 2 months ago both HitMan Pro and Zemana detected more than Malwarebytes 3 with Zemana winning the test. Malwarebytes 3 detection in various YouTube videos doesn't give me confidence with it.

Even though MalwareFox is the same program as Zemana, I uninstalled MalwareFox because of extremely poor support - in fact, no response to any questions I submitted.  I have since installed Zemana and currently running their trial (which incidentally is a 30-day trial period.  MalwareFox I believe only had a 15-day trial period).  When the trial expires I will likely only keep it for on-demand scans - i.e. the free version.  Just not sure real-time protection from any anti-malware software is worth the annual cost.  I do  however agree that Zemana seems excellent.  BTW, I submitted a question to Zemana support and had a promt reply.

• Moderators

BTW, I submitted a question to Zemana support and had a promt reply.

I did too about 2 months ago and got a somewhat prompt reply, I asked if they could put info on the site to state which version of Windows it supported, and they did.