Can´t select Wipe entire drive

oef

I would like to delete my C drive before getting rid of my PC but cannot select the appropriate actions (I have purhased the CCleander pro version).

Wipe: Entire Drive (all data will be erased) AND then I cannot select 

Drives: Local Drive C

What would I need to do? 

Thx

• Moderators

G'day eof,

welcome to the forums.

you can't select the very drive Windows and CC is installed on!

it's like saying "Computer, wipe yourself" - at some point it's going to start wiping the files needed for it to continue to run.

your options are, remove C:\ drive and connect it to another PC and wipe it that way.

or reinstall Windows and take the offered option to delete the current partitions and reformat the drive.  that way the new owner gets a clean install of Windows, no extraneous software or user data.

and also consider, if your data is sensitive enough that a wipe drive is required, any data (or bits of) can be recovered in the right hands.

so the ultimate option is to keep that C:\ drive yourself, put it in an external enclosure and use it for backups.

then put a new one in the PC, hell, take the opportunity to upgrade it to a SSD. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

There are other free tools to wipe a hard disk clean outside of Windows such as some Linux distros, and DBAN. If you use a wipe tool outside of Windows make sure that it doesn't also nuke the Recovery partition that installs Windows.