CClearner vs. Norton 360

Dillpickles

Hi guys & ladies, new here, and old as a person. I use to have CCleaner for years, then a bug with Windows 10, 64 bit. But at that time I also had Norton antivirus. I upgraded to Norton 360, which has a file cleaner, and Click & Clean on my chrome browser do I still need CCleaner?

I guess I have a habit of downloading and running software that somehow causes a conflict with other software, trying to keep my PC turned. As of now I am using Malwarebytes Home Premium, Norton 360, and Click&Clean. with no problems.

Just wondering is there anything more CCleaner can do? And if will cause problems with the other working software.

DP. 

• Moderators

I too am running Norton's and MBAM Premium, but I don't use (OK I'll be honest, trust) Norton's maintenance.

CC is more customisable than Norton's.

If I run CC then Norton's, Norton's finds nothing to clean, however running Norton's then CC, CC still finds more.

That answers it for me.

As to causing any problems with other software, it usually doesn't but it's not 100%.

Cleaning the registry is the main complaint of users if they blindly deleting too much and causing flow-on effects.

I've had CC force me to reinstall Office 2003 (back in the days) but that was only because I had CC remove *.bak files and Office had a file with a .bak extension that it didn't like deleted.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks, once again mta. I remember when I first installed CCleaner there were so many settings, I didn't know what they were, or what the did. I inadvertently deleted all my passwords, and cookies related, that was major. Norton security Safe saved me there. I have had  some other hiccups, self caused usually. I'm not a heavy duty techie, as of now everything is up to speed, & working fine.

I run Norton if finds 2 or 3 files from Internet Explorer saving only 20K of space and I don't even use it. MWB only warns of bad pages, or definition out of date, both are on schedule. I will take your reply to heart, but leave well enough alone for now. Usually with me I try to make something better. when there was no problem to begin with.

Had Register Mechanic, and Norton on my then new laptop, ran them both simultaneously and created 58 register errors that could not be repaired, even with a clean installed. Those registers must not be that important because the laptop works fine.

Thanks,

DP.  

• Moderators

Those registers must not be that important because the laptop works fine.

The problem with registry cleaning (especially programs that have aggressive registry cleaners) is not knowing if deleting the wrong thing will create issues quickly or many months later.

• Moderators

in case you are still using Reg Mechanic, DON'T - or at least think twice.

I had it up to Win 8 and it was OK'ish (I think) or maybe didn't do anything, can't remember, point is they stopped work on it absolutely ages ago and haven't released new definitions, making it almost useless.

if you have to reg clean, and think twice about that too :) then use the CC one.

please don't let me talk you out of using Norton's maintenance, whatever works for you is my rule.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi Andavan, Thanks for the reply and the links. My laptop turned 2 yrs. old so far no ill effects. Mainly used as my back up in case my desktop is goes down for any reason. Also my travel computer, here in Thailand have never had an incident  where they had to keep it overnight. So I travel with the Acer Aspire, prefer not to use my phone for business.

Thanks,

DP. 

Hi mta, no haven't used Register Mechanic since they stopped support, since Windows 7 for me, which was when I got the laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10 ok, but still unable to repair sys image. So I guess all my questions have been answered. If it works, don't fix it.