v5.27.5976 (64Bit) - downloads installs - but crashes when running

Grimdal

• Moderators

@wise_alec,

it was not meant to be professional or unprofessional, it is merely my opinion.

as it was the opinion of @JMR to say what he said.

you are entitled to deal with it as you deem fit; ignore, accept, entirely up to you.

if the lack of Compact Databases issue is critical to your usage of your PC, there are options available until Piriform releases a fix.

like reverting to a previous version of CC, or using FF internal browser cleaning processes to vacuum the SQLlite DB's.

and of course you could go completely 'nuke from space' and create a new profile.

also, ask yourself, what is gained by 'compacting' an SQL database.

how much of a space or performance improvement do you expect?

DB's only get a performance gain by being reorganised not by records being added or changed, but by large amounts of data being deleted and relocated.

so while annoying, it's not a mission-critical feature that is currently not functioning - BUT, as I said - that is just my opinion.

like you, I am just a ordinary member of this forum, volunteering my time in the off-chance it may help others.

I just have the added housekeeping chores associated with being a Moderator and am in no way linked to Piriform above and beyond those tasks already mentioned.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

excellent @Grimdal, thanks for the feedback.

@wise_alec,

it was not meant to be professional or unprofessional, it is merely my opinion.

as it was the opinion of @JMR to say what he said.

you are entitled to deal with it as you deem fit; ignore, accept, entirely up to you.

if the lack of Compact Databases issue is critical to your usage of your PC, there are options available until Piriform releases a fix.

like reverting to a previous version of CC, or using FF internal browser cleaning processes to vacuum the SQLlite DB's.

and of course you could go completely 'nuke from space' and create a new profile.

also, ask yourself, what is gained by 'compacting' an SQL database.

how much of a space or performance improvement do you expect?

DB's only get a performance gain by being reorganised not by records being added or changed, but by large amounts of data being deleted and relocated.

so while annoying, it's not a mission-critical feature that is currently not functioning - BUT, as I said - that is just my opinion.

like you, I am just a ordinary member of this forum, volunteering my time in the off-chance it may help others.

I just have the added housekeeping chores associated with being a Moderator and am in no way linked to Piriform above and beyond those tasks already mentioned.

mta:

didn't want to heart your feelings ... sorry ...

BUT, I also just stated MY opinion!

AND when I ask myself what "one gains compacting ..." I can tell you that we gain a lot!

Among other "problems", for example,  working with BOINC and running "climateprediction" WUs (they run up to 20 days round the clock - unstopable)

we have to regularily compress during those 20 days - otherwise data results are "blocked" from being uploaded to their server and WUs crash.

So this represent a big problem for us.  AND, please, don't ask me why this is so ...

Also, "just nuking out of space ..." represent not "much fun"!

Of course we can do "workarounds".

But your reply sounded a bit like ... what's the big issue ... ... just do this or that ... ... no problem ... ... all is easy ... etc.

Users (probably just me/us) don't like such comments or replies.

Just a tip ... trying to help ...

So again I'm very sorry  to have imposed upon you.

As a closing remark ment for the Piriform.com:

v5.29.6033 solved the problem. Many THANKS.

• Moderators

all good this end.  :)

glad it now works for you.