When CCleaner won't install or download (Windows) : solution does NOT work

verdy_p

And I have an official version of Windows 10, official French localisation, running version 1607 (build 14393.693.)

Unistalling completely and reinstalling this update does not work: your version check refuses the installation.

Installing the revious version CCleaner 5.25 instead of 5.26 works without problem.

The problem is in your installer which does not even attempt to installa anything and rejects my system version without copying anything (and without even creating any debugging log anywhere: nothing in CCleaner install folder, nothing in %TEMP%, nothing in Windows\Temp, nothing in Windows event viewer.

My opinion is that the installer attempts to use an incompatible/unsupported Windows API to make its system version check, and fails to link to it, or passes some invalid parameter (e.g. wrong buffer size for results, or assumption about this size: it was probably compield with an incorrect version of the SDK, or not fully rebuilt from sources and now the installer mixes some .obj/.lib files compiled from another SDK version and some others with a new SDK update where some system structures are now extended).

Note that this is concommitent with the recent Windows update and the apparition of a new SDK! You have probably compiled your installer with this new SDK (for test only, for for use in releases).

Please rebuild your installer with some "make clean". I'm sure it is incorrectly compiled: using a DDK investigation tool, I clearly see that the installer makes false assumptions about system structure sizes needed and it gets an error because your allocated structure is too small to match the version you want to check !

• Moderators

If you look at the OP's topic title what's in that topic has been tried.

----------------

Did you miss this link in that solution topic, where someone found out it was trying to install into an bad folder/path which is impossible, see here: https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=46763&p=275147

Edit:

Make sure you're logged into the forums so you can see his screenshot, otherwise the screenshot image will not display in the post.

Edited by Andavari

If you look at the OP's topic title what's in that topic has been tried.

i didn't notice he using the same topic title

the reason i refer him to that thread because his other post here https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47699&do=findComment&comment=280336

he tried the solution given by @mta using command /debug on CCleaner526.exe

• Moderators

he tried the solution given by @mta using command /debug on CCleaner526.exe

but I'm not sure he used the /debug switch on the correct file.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.