<upgrade> button in left pane

branke

• Moderators

G'day @branke,

Ahhh, what upgrade button in left pane of CC?

Bottom right corner there is an upgrade link, but that's it.

What version of CC do you have?

Include a screenshot if that explains it better.

EDIT:

OK, I've had it explained to me where/what you are talking about.

I've come from the Portable build straight to the Pro version, and those don't show the Upgrade button in the left column.

So therein lies your answer - go to the Pro or ditch the Standard build and get the Portable (and maybe the Slim) build to not show that button.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I did what you said...   I have updated with c.cleaner 526 slim, but still got that 5th button 'upgrade' in the left pane.

Then I Uninstalled Ccleaner and installed again with ccsetup626_slim.exe.

Still got that 5th button in the left pane 'upgrade'.

See attachment

How do I get rid op that button in the Free version?

Please help.   

post-78131-0-20321400-1485209950_thumb.jpg

thanks for your help, but....

so, what to do now?  I've updated AND also new installed with slim-version.

How do I get rid o f that button?

update again with the portable version (which one... the are 2 exe's in that zip file) or must I uninstall again and install that portable version?

please help

• Moderators

yep, uninstall current version and download the portable.

it'll come down as a ZIP file, extract it into the folder you want to keep it in, and run it from.

feel free to put a shortcut to it onto the Desktop if you so wish.

CCleaner.exe is for 32bit PC's, CCleaner64.exe is for 64bit PC's.

Ouww..  this is not nice.

Uninstalled Ccleaner, then installed Ccleaner64.exe from the portable version.

OK, the upgrade-button (5th button in left pane) is now gone, but.....  another disadvantage occurs..

Everytime I want to use cleaner from the shortcut on the taskbar, a pop-up window shows up in which is asked for my permission to run.

After hitting <OK> Ccleaner opens.  In the options of the Ccleaner the box 'don't ask for UA control' is checked.

I find it very annoying to hit that pop-up each time before I can start the program.

Accepting that 5th 'upgrade-button' is less irritating.

Are there other alternatives?

Please help again.

• Moderators

I think you've ran out of alternatives. Either use the software with that slight eyesore it gives you, or don't use it!

And do note that I wouldn't doubt if that Upgrade button doesn't eventually make its way into Portable as well, if/when that happens is entirely up to Piriform.

Nevertheless thanks for your quick answers... 

In behalf of the most rapid approach of the program, I think I'll prefer the (still) irritating 5th advertising/promoting <upgrade>button.

Pitty.

Maybe I will complain to Piriform; they didn't show that <upgrade>button in their versions before.

Thanks again for your patience :-)

• Moderators

Yep, as stated in post #2, the Pro version has no Upgrade button.

OK, obvious question - Why is it so important to get rid of that button? :)

And the license is for 1 PC for 1 year.  See here for full explanation; https://piriform.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204044434-How-long-is-my-license-valid-for-

• Moderators

The free version didn't have that large 'Upgrade' button until a few versions ago.

I think that it was about version 5.15 when it was introduced.

(But can't check because Windows 10 now won't let me install any version before 5.22).

TBH it's not a big deal, it's just another reminder that you are using the free version and that you can Upgrade to the Pro version for a price.

If you get, or already have, the Pro/Pro+ version then the button is not there, there is nothing to upgrade to.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks a lot mta and nukecad for your extensive information!

No, I won't pay each year for the pro-version.

I'm afraid there's no other option for me then accept that <upgrade>-button.  Pity.

In this free-version I am monthly reminded that there is an update available and am I asked for permission to download it.

Thank you all for your help. :-) 

• Moderators
I am monthly reminded that there is an update available

There is a difference between 'Update' and 'Upgrade'.

Update is an improvement (sic) to your current version to give improved cleaning, fix known bugs/issues, etc. and often some changes/corrections to the user interface.

Upgrade is a change from the 'Free' product to the 'Paid For' product.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

@branke,

you should re-read the last paragraph in the link I provided about licensing.

It's a payment per year per PC to get the priority support and auto updates etc,  the program is still the Pro version so the Upgrade button will still not show after the license has lapsed.

@mta

When I buy the pro-version, so I get a key by email..

I will receive automatic updates during one year, and after at year my pro-version remains Pro on my PC

After one year I presume that I will be reminded that an update is available (that box is checked) o.k.? 

How do I update then manually? Which option should I choose from the website of Piriform? The free- or the pro-version.

:-)

Thanks in advance for your answer

Sorry...  I see that I have posted twice about the same..  :-)

So when I buy the pro-version, I have no <upgrade>button and get automatic updates 1 year long

After that year I retain the Pro-version (so without that <upgrade-button), but have to update manually.

I presume that I will be attended when an update is available. (that box is checked)

In that case (after one year) I wonder how to update. I will be guided to the website of Piriform and which choice do I have to make then?  Free-  or Pro-version? or what?

Thanks again for your kind answer :-).

• Moderators

in a nutshell, the answer is Yes to all you ask.

I can't vouch for what happens after one year, in the sense of what option you take as I have only had the Pro version for about 3 or 4 months.

But I have had to reinstall it for various reasons and I just download and install the Free version, then plug in the license key to make it the Pro.

• Moderators

The free version didn't have that large 'Upgrade' button until a few versions ago.

I think that it was about version 5.15 when it was introduced.

We (speaking of the mod team) were notified of its inclusion in January 2016.