Defraggler Disk Visual

joep83

• Moderators

files told to be moved to the end of the drive are shown in DF at the bottom of the drive map, so that will be the outside (outer rings) of the hard drive.

so top left of the displayed map is inner most rings of your physical drive, then going from left to right, top to bottom, until you get to the bottom right where you are then at the 'outside of the disk'.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Isn't it the other way round. Mta? The 'end of the drive' is at the centre of the disk (or as far as it can get within the partition). These are the high numbered sectors/clusters.

So top left of the map represents the outer tracks, and bottom right the inner tracks.

Of course the map is a logical construct created from the MFT, unless you're using rectangular disks.

• Moderators

shoot, sorry yes.

files moved to end of drive show up in bottom of display map which is the CENTRE of the disk platter.

the outer rings spin the fastest and are the prime real estate on the platter.

(that was what was in my brain - just came out through the fingers wrong B) )

Let's say I have a Tb HDD and I'm only really consuming 1/8 of that. Is it effective to have all files toward the outside of the disk, or inside? Or it is better to have things spread out, but defragged? I'm wondering if information would process faster if everything was at the faster-reading portion of the disk, or if it would just cram everything too close, making it harder for the CPU and RAM to do their job? 

Sorry if my questions seem a little simple minded. I've never thought to ask about how hard drives function or how defragging works before. This is all new to me. But thanks for the timely responses so far.

• Moderators

the outside of any disk spins the fastest, so why would you not want all of your data in that area!

but of course there is always way more data than prime disk space, eventually you start having data heading away from the outside.

some defraggers (sadly not DF) allow particular folders, or categories of files (system, temporary etc), or other criteria, like most used, to be put into this prime space.

but DF does allow stuff to be moved away from the outside, that is, move the the end of the drive.

this would be ideal for files that don't change like videos, or files where performance is not any issue, like temp and log files.

it's never nice to have things spread out, from a performance point.

CPU and RAM don't care how the hard drive is utilised.

all spread out, all crammed up,  Honey Badger don't care.

it's all down to how much the disk platters and read/write heads have to move to perform the current I/O task, and how many of those requests are required to perform your activity.