January 2017 Desktops

DennisD

Well done DennisD you certainly did beat me to the line............congratulations. Ah beaten by a Gentleman.....he's in bed now perhaps as it's now 1.20am over there

They say the fireworks on Sydney Harbour is one of the best...........take a look folks and a Big Happy New Year to all.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

very pleasing Dennis, and I'll be first out of the gate and say it, "A very nice pear".  (come on...  we were all thinking it...) :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

they do seem to be only just secure, his excited state is expected. :D

Well it's now the 13th day of 2017 (down under in Aus. that is) and what a lack luster response from forum members.............maybe everyone's on holidays, yes that's it, I am sure we will see a bunch of desktops towards the end of January.

So I've changed my desktop for this month to show off one of my attempts of some Macro photography.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

I haven't joined in here as I use the same Desktop all the time.

It's a photo taken from just outside my front door about 80 or 90 years ago, window top right is one of my bedroom windows.
(I haven't managed to track down the exact date yet, going off the 2 cars it looks pre WW2. The number plate on the one on the right, 2 letters 4 numbers, dates it as registered before the mid 1930's).

It's interesting that not much has changed.
The road surface of course - its now off road parking, the building on the left has changed slightly, the one on the right with the guy at the door now has a double shopfront window, the canopy over the pub has gone as have the tree and old lampost, and there is now a War Memorial that should just be visible on the left.
I keep meaning to take a modern photo from the same viewpoint, probably early Sunday morning when there are no cars parked up. Maybe this will prompt me to get around to it, I'll post it if/when I do.

I've had to stretch it a little to fit the desktop but it actually looks better like that.

post-73689-0-55892700-1484231343_thumb.jpg

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Fascinating to have an old photograph like that of so long ago. The house I live in was built sometime around 1890-1900 and it would be cool to see what the area was like then.

Yes, post a pic of what it's like now, I'll look forwards to that. By the way, what are the ruins in centre shot, the windows look like Norman arches?

Join in here every month if you feel like it, just adopt some cool desktop for a day.

:)

• Moderators

Tas,

sadly I don't join in either (laziness if I'm really honest) as I have my desktops set to slideshows of our oversea trips.

they make excellent, albeit expensive, digital photo frames that way.

• Moderators

By the way, what are the ruins in centre shot, the windows look like Norman arches?

Well it's telling everyone where I live, but I'm not paranoid about that, I've been tracked down before by a forum menber elsewhere who only had the name Nukecad, a photo from our village fair, and the fact that Facebook has my hometown in the wrong Country.

The house I'm in now was built in 1604, it's had bits built on and knocked off of course, and was split into 2 somtime in the 1800s to give a small pub (still open) and where I live now with a shop below which is currently used as a local heritage museum.

There is also internal evidence that it was changed from 3 stories to 2 stories with higher ceilings at that time.

That ruin is Egremont Castle, built in the 12th century, although it's believed there was an earlier fortification on the site.

It is also the subject of a Wordsworth poem, The Horn of Egremont, and has appeared in a few fairly famous paintings and at least one album cover (The Big Lad in the Windmill, by It Bites).

http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/egremont-castle/

http://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=2331

We also have what is widely believed to be the oldest continuously held(except for the war years) village fair in the world.

Egremont Crab fair has it's 750th aniversary this year, you may already know it from the World Gurning Championships which are held during the fair and usually make international news cameos.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/21/world-gurning-championships-are-as-brilliant-as-you-would-expect-6142686/

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Very interesting nukecad as I love old castles and have been to Egremont :)

Let me know if your comming to this years 750th anniversary Crab Fair, it's going to be very busy but I'm sure we could meet up for a pint ot two.

• Moderators

... and have been to Egremont :)

I cannot wait to hear Dennis's comments on the Gurning Championships !!

Of course you can't wait hazel, and it might surprise you that I remember our get together there like it was yesterday.

You must still be very proud, it's not everyone wins on their first visit ...

Huddersfield's first gurning champion:

I was so pleased for you I had that as my desktop for a month.  :wub:

And I still have the photograph of the annual mod get together 2009, you'll be pleased to hear.

:)

• Moderators

Well it's telling everyone where I live, but I'm not paranoid about that ...

Nor me nc,

And just to carry on the "old" theme, just down the road from me in my home town of Seaham in County Durham we have the church of St Mary The Virgin, built some time between 1066 and 1090.

Like Egremont Castle and it's many years, can you imagine what that little church has seen in it's well over 900 years history?

The church of St. Mary the Virgin:

And seeing as this is the desktops topic, that's not my desktop.   :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all Long time no chat, Still a frequent CCleaner user, just forums have been off my radar for ages. 
Just thought I'd stop in and say HI.

Oh and Here is my current Desktop.
Win 10 + a mix of Rainmeter skins.
5wVmqm4l.png

Hope everyone is doing well.

fireryone