Chrome Won't Close

langbert

When I run CCleaner on WIndows 10, I get a message that Chrome is still running, and the next step, to force close, also does not work. It ends up cleaning by skipping Chrome.  I checked "advanced settings" on Chrome and "continue running background apps when Chrome is closed" is NOT checked.  What should I do?  Thanks.

• Moderators

go into Task Manager and double check no other Google related task is running.

Sync, Drive, whatever else is made by Google.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

A bit of a work round but if you get Junkware Removal Tool from MalwareBytes this closes nearly every running process before running a scan, including all browsers. 

The scan itself takes a couple of minutes depending on your system.

So if you run that first it closes everything before you run CC.

The JRT interface is not ideal, it's a command window with very few options but it works OK.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

When I go to task manager, I see three Google Chrome processes, all chrome.exe, but when I click on end task the task doesn't end; there is no response.  The status for the three chrome.exe processes is suspended. Also, I downloaded Junkware Removal Tool from MalwareBytes, and although it removed a number of things it did not remove the Google Chrome exe programs. Ugh.

• Moderators

, I downloaded Junkware Removal Tool from MalwareBytes, and although it removed a number of things it did not remove the Google Chrome exe programs. Ugh.

I wasn't suggesting that JRT would remove Chrome, just that it would shut it down completely to allow CC to clean it.

JRT does what it says and removes Junkware (aka. Bloatware), the sort of unwanted stuff that manufacturers bundle with a new PC or that may have been included with a download you make.

It won't see Chrome itself as being Junkware, many people do prefer Chrome for some reason, so it won't remove it.

It may see some Chrome extensions and add-ons as junkware, depends what they are.

One slight issue with JRT is that it does not (yet) give you a choice as to what it removes; if it matches JRT's list it goes.

It does tell you just what (if anything) it has removed.

It does create a Windows restore point everytime it runs so you can restore that if it removes something that you did want.

The developer is pretty quick at updating the list of what to remove and what not when asked to on the Malwarebytes forum.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043