CCleaner Community Forums
hazelnut

Has anyone used OE Classic?

- Fiddling with the translated version(s) of OEC Beta exposed a number of bugs in the OEC program code. (I LOVE this kind of work). No information available on when OEC v2.80 will be (officially) released. I assume it depends on how fast the work on the translations progresses.

- Still no news on when OEC will support IMAP.

- OEC supports/uses TLS v1.0, v1.1, and v1.2 for a secure connection with email servers. And that's a problem for users of Windows XP and Server 2003 and older. These Operating Systems only support TLS v1.0. It makes the connection with the email servers (a little) less secure/safe for XP and Server 2003 users.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kaushal/2011/10/02/support-for-ssltls-protocols-on-windows/

- The developers have made many code changes inside OEC in preparation for IMAP. But these don't show up yet because they are not done yet with all the changes needed for IMAP and the testing of IMAP.

- When TLS 1.3 is officially released then OEC also will support that version of TLS. Then it seems that MS will stop to support TLS 1.0 (and TLS 1.1. ???) anymore.

- Currently OEC supports 16 languages (incl. english). Volunteers (with the "paid for" version of OEC) who want to add an additional language are still welcome.

Source: the Facebook page of OEC. (available on the homepage of OEC)

Thanks much, Hazelnut & Willy2.  Looks very nice.  I shall give it a try. 
Haven't thought about a new email provider for years, but I am changing email one way or the other soon.
A question or two if I may. 
Is it easy to save attachments  locally using IMAP?
Are there big working differences between the free and paid? I saw that about the 2 account limit of the free? 

Sorry to ask lazy questions. I am going to change email providers, so this by Hazelnut and Willy2 is very timely.

edit:  on wxp and w7. 

Thanks.  :)

- Alas. Support for IMAP is still something for the (near ??) future. The developers wrote that IMAP already works on their servers. But that's all they are willing to say. Perhaps they still need to get rid of (A LOT OF) IMAP related bugs in the OEC program code. I don't know what's going on.

- The PRO version allows the user to separate emails in separate "Identities". I.e. you can separate e.g. your private emails from e.g. your work related emails.

https://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-identities

https://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-quickstart

- OEC seems to work on Windows 2000 and newer.

- Currently the amount of languages supported by OEC has increased to 21. People who want to help to translate the program in more languages are still very welcome.

- Outlook Express Classic v2.9 (both the free & PRO version) released.

-  I came across the following text on the Outlook Classic website (posted: October 1, 2016):

"In other news, we are testing IMAP support. It works already and internal builds can connect to a server and fetch messages. But there is a lot of work in tweaking it properly and adding it to the user-interface in a user friendly manner. We'll get there and we will keep you informed."

- Source:

https://www.oeclassic.com/news

Edited by Willy2

- Outlook Express Classic has an option that tries to automatically configure the settings for a(n) (new) account. This is done with the "Auto Config" button in the "Accounts" menus (Tools > Accounts > Properties > Basic). When the user clicks on that "Auto Config" button then OEC seeks through a list with known settings for a number of domains.
- If the "Auto Config" button doesn't work then the list doesn't (yet) contain the settings for that email provider/domain. In that case the user can help to improve OEC by submitting his/her email/domain settings to the developers of OEC. Send them an email with e.g. screenshots of one's settings and/or provide an weblink to the webpage where those settings are listed. Then the developers will add those settings to their database.