Recuva Capabilities for Lost Free Space.

bbbad

Lets get this out of the way first.  Computer talk is not a language that I'm fluent in.  :unsure: 

Here's my problem.  Instead of using my CC Cleaner on Nov. 12 I ran a wipe of the free space with Avast to see if it was going to be any quicker.  

I started with 89% free space of a total 930GB.  When it was over I was left with only 3% free space and I've been hemorrhaging  space ever since and I'm now down to 16.5GB.

Analysis of the the system settings and properties shows that the bulk of the used space or 821GB is in a heading called "Other".  However, when I checked each of the folders/files properties in this section all of them combined totaled to 100GB leaving 720GB unaccounted for.

I'd like to know if my idea is sound and will work or more importantly, ask the community if someone has a simple or more effective solution to my problem.

My thought is to use Recuva to find all deleted files and move them to my external hard drive to free up space and secure delete them from there.  Well, that is if the software can find the 720 GB of missing files in the first place.  

Your assistance is appreciated. 

Hi Hazelnut,

Thank you for the thread.  

Now I'm even angrier with Avast.  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I wrote their forum on Nov 13 asking for help in trying to recover the space and to date I've gotten absolutely no where.  Worse yet, from what I see on the thread that you provided it's been a known problem to at least two avast team members, lukor and Kaspar, going back to May 2016.  

Please don't think that I'm venting at you.  I've written my comments with a little heat in hopes that somehow my comments get someone's attention at Avast.  I think that it's awfully strange that Avast staff pays more attention to your discussion boards than they do their own.  

Thanks again!