Windows.old is not completely removed

muddydog

In regards to:  Windows 10 Insider Builds 14942 - 14965

CCleaner does not completely remove Windows.old. The WindowsApps folder remains.

I have cleaned up manually by rebooting to Settings/Recovery/Advanced Startup and then running 'rmdir Windows.old /s" from a command prompt.

(This side steps having to take ownership of the Windows.old folder).

I have not saved debug or log information, but will do so and submit the data if this recurs on the next Build(s).

• Moderators

Hi @muddydog and welcome to the forum,

windows.old should be included in the folders CC searches like any other folder, I'm not aware of CC giving windows.old any special treatment.

so I don't think it would remove all of it.  just the .log or .tmp or whatever else matches the normal CC 'hit list'.

are you using winapp2.ini or some other form of enhancement?

I used to have an INCLUDE in CC so it did remove it for me but that process took hours, whereas CLEANMGR does it in minutes.

(but I think your way would be even better, I'll be trying that next time!)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Prior to the most recent Windows 10 Insider Builds (14942(?) - 14965), CCLeaner removed Windows.old completely. No leftovers, just check the appropriate box under Advanced and CCleaner performed perfectly.

A new Windows 10 Insider Build has just been released: Build 14971. In the Release Notes, Microsoft states "We fixed an issue that could result in sometimes not being able to completely remove files in the Windows.old folder using Disk Cleanup". So it looks like this was a bug in a few of the pre-release builds and not a CCleaner bug.

I will run CCleaner to remove Windows.old after Build 14971 has installed to check that this bug has been fixed. I'll run Windows Disk Cleanup on one of my computers and CCleaner on another.