CCleaner won't finish cleaning up HD?

jkiper

Hi, I just downloaded CCLEANER tonight. Everything was fine with installation until I pressed the tab-Run Cleaner. It wont go past 18%. I tried it three times to no avail. Then I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still won't go past 18%. It was still at 18% after 20 minutes and then when I press cancel I get a message - program not responding. Wipe Freespace is NOT checked. Also that box at bottom right screen pops up telling me I can free up 2.5 GB of space. Anyone know what might be wrong?

I have the same problem except I get to 25%. I got a message telling me that I could save 1.2Gb so started it and left it running overnight. On checking it the next morning it still had not passed 25%.

I would welcome any suggestions as to resolving this issue.

Thanks Moderator,

When I tried it again, after posting on this page, it still stopped at 18%. When I left the room for about 20 minutes and came back,  it completed and increased my memory. So it's working after all. Thank you.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

What I'd do in this scenario is this:
1. Make sure you're using the newest version of CCleaner:
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

2. Run the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup tool, and/or search via Cortana/Search for:
Storage Sense

3. Run Windows built-in disk error checking utility ChkDsk on the internal drives:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk

4. Try CCleaner again.