Reluctant owner of 1st smart phone (Android) requires advice.

DennisD

• Moderators

Never wanted a smart phone, still don't, but I'm now the owner of a new Android 5.0 device.

Since Skype withdrew their support for smart tv's across every platform, I needed something to Skype my grandkids (6 and 2), who have now moved to Ireland. Their parents moved with them so that's good of course.

The advice ...

1: I'm tearing my hair out because of ads, so what do you guys recommend in way of an ad blocker. Not just browser ads, but ads popping up in apps. One of the worst culprits being Avast free A/V. Yea, I know that's the cost of free, but Avast pops up a half screen sized ad after every scan. Really irritating.

2: I got rid of Avast and installed AVG free, which for a basic scan, doesn't pop up an ad afterwards. Well recommended and seems good, but do I actually need a fully fledged A/V, something else, or nothing.

I believe an A/V is needed these days, but which is the best and least intrusive and low on resources?

And please don't tell me the best solution is to get an iPhone as I ain't paying hundreds of pounds for something I don't want. I'm keeping my "internet locked out" little Samsung phone for day to day use.

Any advice on anything Android would be good.

Thank you all in advance. The "you all" part being blissfully optimistic.

:)

• Moderators

Sorry Dennis, I'm an iPhone boy. (and sorry on the grandkids moving away - little buggers! - how dare they)

But I can at least answer one of your points.

Yes, Androids need AV software, Apple doesn't (yet) due to their 'our system is locked' policy which works out great for protection.

Whereas Android is the complete opposite and security issues abound.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

for Ads, i prefer Adguard/Adaway but not all ads can be block

i just use my smartphone for Whatsapp and google search so no AV for me

there no reason to install AV app when you don't install/uninstall app frequently

• Moderators

Without rooting the phone first no adblocking. If you can gain root to it (system admin) I can get yer ads blocked (mostly through our beloved host file that we all already use on PC)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Thanks Nergal.

I believe that would be something like Adaway mentioned above? Or is there something else?

Rooting is new to me. I've seen it talked about for a long time but never had anything to root.

Although I did have a couple of canals rooted many years ago.  :(

EDIT: Getting better at this. Disabled quite a few apps I can't remove, and now looking at browsers. Chrome is installed but I haven't used it yet.

Hey everyone - I had to pop my head in here. 

I've never met anyone to who's needed an AV on an Android phone - I've been on Android since the T-Mobile G1, and I'm currently running a Nexus 5x. Unless you're doing all of your browsing in Chrome and installing applications from outside the Play Store, you really don't need it - it's just taking up your resources. I bet if I were to post a poll over on reddit.com/r/android to get a general consensus, most users would post they were using an AdBlocker like AdAway, but not a full AV. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Avast for Android has disinfected my mothers phone twice so far.

maybe she accidentally clicked one of those ads that lead to ads-ware infection

in this case, yes those AV app will help

blocking the ads should be enough unless like @CTskifreak mention, heavy browsing and sideload app

using android for Skype,answering call and browsing to Piriform forum :P , i don't think he need AV app

Root

If you unlock the bootloader you will void your warranty, if you flash your phone you "could" void your warranty, if you root your phone without unlocking the bootloader and without flashing there shouldn't be an issue as you can unroot your phone and the root access should be gone - your warranty is back!

Dennis take a read of this: (OPPS I just realised this one is the same one as hazelnut's suggestion) except I have installed this on a Cobber's phone and all OK. Unfortunately there are a few steps to complete. 

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-stop-pop-up-ads-on-android-summary-opera-3633127/

this includes a 3.0 minute Video instruction on how to install and configure the ad blocker app.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

Amazing how things can change in a few days isn't it.

Now a happy owner of an Android phone.

Ads in the browser were easy, and I've stuck with the Android browser itself. it was the ads in apps that I just wasn't used to, and apps that run constantly in the background, like Skype since microsoft got hold of, and updated, the damn thing to their idea of what an app should do.

Simply disabled a lot of apps, and with something like Avast free, which I've gone back to, one ad popping up after running a manual scan is acceptable as the small cost of "free". One click and it's gone anyway.

Otherwise it simply runs quietly in the background.

Thanks for all your input chaps, always appreciated.

:)

• Moderators

Pretty soon you will wonder how you ever lived without one Dennis! 

I'm an iPhone user now but I used android for years. My favorite app of all time is Waze (GPS app) its basically google maps but it factors in real time traffic updates, gives police warnings, and more. Completely free. 

Chrome is great on android/ios because it syncs your bookmarks, saved passwords, and browsing data so you can pick up where you left off on your pc. The last android phone I had was a galaxy s5. I didn't love samsungs default launcher so I used something called nova launcher which changes your phone to be more like stock android. There is also a google launcher which is great too(and free). 

• Moderators

Pretty soon you will wonder how you ever lived without one Dennis!

Not quite there yet rr, but probably soon, and there's a lot I'm liking about it.

Best app at the moment is "WhatsApp", which both my son and daughter have. Messages, photos, videos and even phone calls all free via my Wi-Fi. Bit like Skype, which is also a great app. That works as well if not better on my phone than it did on my smart TV. Even the small screen is something you get used to.

That "WhatsApp" is also completely ad free. They do this by providing it free for the first year and then a whopping charge of $0.99, or 50p in proper money, per year. No typo there either.

My son has had it for well over a year he says and hasn't been charged yet. I'll put money aside just in case. :)

Yea, pretty amazing stuff in a small package.

• Moderators

Yea, pretty amazing stuff in a small package.

agreed, I love how they allow you to have in one device what used to take up several; camera, torch, GPS, mirror(for the girls), Oh! and of course a phone.

and all the things they allow you to do; internet, books, games, movies, podcasts, TV shows.

then throw in for good measure areas like keeping the kids entertained, road trips, social media, long haul flights, and they are just fantastic little devices.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.