Dell On Call

Patti

• Moderators

I personally don't utilize Dell Support/Customer Service anymore, if you have a problem, etc., just browse their site for the solution all on your own hence if you use their tech support you'll literally wait ages to get through. Their techs are basically just reading stuff off the web that's widely available. They also have the nasty habit of not fixing anything and tell people to format to fix stupidly simple problems.

LMAO Eldmannen, that was funny however it seems to be very true hence I can't even order ink cartridges without getting someone with an ascent from hell that I don't understand. Outsourcing sucks!

I personally don't utilize Dell Support/Customer Service anymore, if you have a problem, etc., just browse their site for the solution all on your own hence if you use their tech support you'll literally wait ages to get through. Their techs are basically just reading stuff off the web that's widely available. They also have the nasty habit of not fixing anything and tell people to format to fix stupidly simple problems.

LMAO Eldmannen, that was funny however it seems to be very true hence I can't even order ink cartridges without getting someone with an ascent from hell that I don't understand. Outsourcing sucks!

Great, and I just bought the computer!! Eldmannen, I don't think you can help me, am looking for someone to "physically" set up my Dell.

Have you looked at the set-up instructions? It's just one sheet with large scale diagrams. Virtually all specialized connections are colour coded. Most of the rest are USB so it won't matter exactly which port you use.

If you're still uncomfortable, ask a reliable friend but don't pay anyone ... it's easier than connecting a VCR to your TV.

Have you looked at the set-up instructions? It's just one sheet with large scale diagrams. Virtually all specialized connections are colour coded. Most of the rest are USB so it won't matter exactly which port you use.

If you're still uncomfortable, ask a reliable friend but don't pay anyone ... it's easier than connecting a VCR to your TV.

My problem of being uncomfortable is making sure everything is in it that Dell said was in it. Like McAfee, anitvirus, etc. I wouldn't know where to look for that. Plus, I want (before anything) to have all those crappy "freebies" they give that show on your desktop. I also bought the printer, scanner, fax all in one - is that hard to hook up??

My problem of being uncomfortable is making sure everything is in it that Dell said was in it. Like McAfee, anitvirus, etc. I wouldn't know where to look for that. Plus, I want (before anything) to have all those crappy "freebies" they give that show on your desktop.

I'm on my third Dell but I have to agree with the others ... Dell support has deteriorated over the years and they probably wouldn't be much help in this area. Your best bet is to check with friends for a reliable technogeek and promise him/her a beer.

I also bought the printer, scanner, fax all in one - is that hard to hook up??
There should just be a power cord, a telephone cord and a USB cable which (because the ends are completely different) should be impossible to connect incorrectly.

• Moderators

Glenn is correct there will or should be a large coloured chart showing you exactly how to hook everything up on the back. Also the way the back of PC's are designed it's pretty damned difficult to hook something up wrong, e.g.; a USB cable won't fit into a Firewire port, etc.

About your antivirus, Dell most likely has it pre-installed on your system and most likely it will be included on a Dell restore CD, or they would have given you an actual install CD with it for restoration at a later time. Once your PC is up and running launch the antivirus and find the Update button wherever it is located within the program. If you didn't pay for a full year on the antivirus expect it to expire in 30 days to 90 days depending upon the trial period of course - however that isn't a problem since there are a few free antivirus programs.

Don't mind Eldmannen he was just joking!