problems with disk defrag after installing ccleaner

soot

Hi,

Sorry my first post is a bit negative, ive just downloaded ccleaner and its great, the only problem im having is now my disk defragmenter has gone loopy! where my free space should be (the white bar) i now have the contiguous files blue bar, i have 79% free space but its covered by this blue bar. also my disk defrag now when it finishes says it couldnt defragment all the files. ive no viruses or spyware and ive tried doing everything (including defrag) in safe mode-the same still happens. its only since i downloaded ccleaner id be grateful if anyone has any ideas before i uninstall it im worried ive damaged my pc.

thanks in advance

Don't worry, this isn't a problem at all. If you view the Disk Defragmenter (DD) legend at the bottom of the window, you will see that the blue represents contiguous files. These are files that are defragmented, so you want to see that. If it was red, that would mean that DD didn't do its job very well, because red symbolizes fragmented files.

The bar is only white while DD is scanning your files. After it has analyzed your drive, the only white you will see is your free space. How much free space you have determines how much white will be showing.

Also, DD often runs into files it can't defragment for one reason or another. If a file is in use, for example, DD will leave it alone. This isn't a problem, and is in no way related to CCleaner.

Happy cleaning, and welcome to the forum!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Don't worry, this isn't a problem at all. If you view the Disk Defragmenter (DD) legend at the bottom of the window, you will see that the blue represents contiguous files. These are files that are defragmented, so you want to see that. If it was red, that would mean that DD didn't do its job very well, because red symbolizes fragmented files.

The bar is only white while DD is scanning your files. After it has analyzed your drive, the only white you will see is your free space. How much free space you have determines how much white will be showing.

Also, DD often runs into files it can't defragment for one reason or another. If a file is in use, for example, DD will leave it alone. This isn't a problem, and is in no way related to CCleaner.

Happy cleaning, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! ive gotten rid of loads of garbage on my pc! i was getting worried ive never seen the blue bar before, i know im supposed to see my free space but theres only a tiny bit white on the bar the rest is blue-about 79% but i have 79%free space. :huh:

thanks again

No problem.

If you think there still may be a problem, post a screenshot of what your Disk Defragmenter looks like, and I can tell you if it is okay or if it looks fishy.

Here is how to post a screenshot, in case you were unsure:

http://www.lunarsoft.net/forum/index.php?s...1&hl=screenshot

ding, ding!

No problem.

If you think there still may be a problem, post a screenshot of what your Disk Defragmenter looks like, and I can tell you if it is okay or if it looks fishy.

Here is how to post a screenshot, in case you were unsure:

http://www.lunarsoft.net/forum/index.php?s...1&hl=screenshot

Hi again,

I couldnt work out how to do the "print screen thing" ive tried right clicking but nothing happens. I`ll work it out eventually... Ive saved the report i got so i`ll show you this while i figure the snapshot out.

I did another scan with ewido and stuff came up that didnt on the other scans, i think ive had spyware on my pc, im sure ive got rid of it though.

Pagefile size = 382 MB

Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation

Total folders = 4,387

Fragmented folders = 1

Excess folder fragments = 1

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation

Total MFT size = 59 MB

MFT record count = 50,094

Percent MFT in use = 83 %

Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fragments File Size Most fragmented files

84 1 KB \WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG

49 1 KB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\ntuser.dat.LOG

10 1 KB \WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG

7 1 KB \Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG

7 216 KB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0h7fc2mf.Default User\bookmarks.html

6 1 KB \Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG

5 1 MB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0h7fc2mf.Default User\Cache\_CACHE_001_

4 30 KB \WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log

3 32 KB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\Local Settings\Temp\~DF928F.tmp

3 32 KB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\Local Settings\Temp\~DFCF2F.tmp

3 1 KB \WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG

3 23 KB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0h7fc2mf.Default User\localstore.rdf

3 1 KB \WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG

3 1 KB \WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG

2 4 KB \WINDOWS\ModemLog_Conexant SoftK56 Modem(M).txt

2 4 KB \WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemess.log

2 211 KB \WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.bin

2 6 KB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0h7fc2mf.Default User\prefs.js

2 18 KB \Documents and Settings\WENDY ROBSON\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0h7fc2mf.Default User\Cache\05F39DDBd01

2 20 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{CBB9CBAF-54C9-4E3E-9114-9E1D4261208E}\RP347

2 20 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{CBB9CBAF-54C9-4E3E-9114-9E1D4261208E}\RP347\change.log

2 1 KB \Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG

2 1 KB \Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG

What defragger are you using? This doesn't sound like the standard Windows defrag. It's not Diskeeper either?

yes its windows xp`s own defrag and now i have more problems...im getting messages saying my memory page file is too low and windows is expanding it, also ive just had a runtime error visual library its something to do with ahead being asked to close in an unusual way. now i am panicking somethings not right, i dont know what it is but somethings happening somewhere :(

• Moderators

Is this all from CCleaner? I'm getitng a bit worred wiht using CCleaner considering all the problems these people are getting, I have to admit.

You aren't the only one. I installed AVG Free a few hours ago to try and figure out which free antivirus I'll be using in about a month (Antivir lost miserably) and CC wanted to remove three registry references to AVG, so being curious I let it and then I noticed it wanted to remove allot more stuff. I don't know if it would have broken AVG in anyway but I don't like the ideal of a registry cleaner mucking around with an installed antivirus rather it has some invalid registry data or not because I remember someone posting about CC messing up their installation of NOD32. CC needs an exclusion list!

Edit: Fixed typos!

You aren't the only one. I installed AVG Free a few hours ago to try and figure out which free antivirus I'll be using in about a month (Antivir lost miserably) and CC wanted to remove three registry references to AVG, so being curious I let it and then I noticed it wanted to remove allot more stuff. I don't know if it would have broken AVG in anyway but I don't like the ideal of a registry cleaner mucking around with an installed antivirus rather it has some invalid registry data or not because I remember someone posting about CC messing up their installation of NOD32. CC needs an exclusion list!

Edit: Fixed typos!

No need to worry. I use AVG Free, and I got the exact same issues as you. I removed them, and I am having absolutely no problems with AVG whatsoever. I have a feeling that AVG's installer just makes a few useless entries. I have used all of AVG's features (except the email scanner) since removing those entries, and everything works fine. Also, AVG hasn't recreated the entries, so I don't think CCleaner did anything wrong.

@ soot:

As far as your pagefile goes, try checking something real quick. Right-click My Computer, and select 'Properties' from the list. Click the 'Advanced' tab from the top of the window, and click the 'Settings' button in the Performance box.

Now, click the 'Advanced' tab at the top of this window, and click the 'Change' button located at the bottom in the Virtual memory box. Here, you can adjust how much hard drive space Windows uses as virtual memory. If the 'System managed size' radio button is not selected, select it now, click 'Ok', apply your changes, and click 'OK' again. Hopefully, this will fix your page file dilemma.

ding, ding!

No need to worry. I use AVG Free, and I got the exact same issues as you. I removed them, and I am having absolutely no problems with AVG whatsoever. I have a feeling that AVG's installer just makes a few useless entries. I have used all of AVG's features (except the email scanner) since removing those entries, and everything works fine. Also, AVG hasn't recreated the entries, so I don't think CCleaner did anything wrong.

@ soot:

As far as your pagefile goes, try checking something real quick. Right-click My Computer, and select 'Properties' from the list. Click the 'Advanced' tab from the top of the window, and click the 'Settings' button in the Performance box.

Now, click the 'Advanced' tab at the top of this window, and click the 'Change' button located at the bottom in the Virtual memory box. Here, you can adjust how much hard drive space Windows uses as virtual memory. If the 'System managed size' radio button is not selected, select it now, click 'Ok', apply your changes, and click 'OK' again. Hopefully, this will fix your page file dilemma.

ok ive done that, the page file says its 181 mb, ive changed it to 183 is that ok or will i do more? do you need to know what size hardrive my pc is or anything?

cheers! :D

LOL: from 181 to 183.

If you have 64, 128, or 256 MB of system RAM, you should set the min and max of your swap file size to 1024/1024.

If you have 512 MB of RAM, 512/512.

If you have 1024MB of RAM, 256/256 or completely off (unless you play big 3D games like WoW, Battlefield, etc, in which case it should be 1024/1024)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

For optimum disk defragging, I first delete pagefile.sys by turning off virtual memory entirely (Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual memory > Change, choose "No paging file" then click "Set"). I then run CCleaner as well as manually delete other unneeded files, etc. as necessary before defragging. If you've enabled hibernation, you should disable it prior to defragging as well (Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate). When defrag is complete, you can turn virtual memory back on (and hibernation if you use it).

A note on virtual memory... I set my pagefile to 2048MB (same value for both min and max). The recommended setting is 1.5x physical memory for minimum and 3x for maximum, but since I have 1GB of RAM and lots of free diskspace, I simply set both values to 2x. Should my system ever need the virtual memory, there it is, but it probably won't, and since the size is fixed, pagefile.sys won't become fragmented. Works for me.

If you don't have enough memory (less than 256MB) then turning off the page file to do that above routine is going to be a bad idea. Just use PageDefrag as Andavari said.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)