Why are there suddenly Google Chrome entries in CCleaner?

wigga whambo

I never installed Chrome.  I do use Portable Chrome from time to time but I never installed it on my C:\ drive.

I'm not sure how this happened.  Now all of a sudden I have Chrome entries in CCleaner.  Is there any way to delete these?  And block future entries from occuring?

Thanks

• Moderators

If you had Chrome entries in the registry did you first check to make sure it wasn't actually installed?

There's tons of installers out there that include it, and if you've ever quickly clicked through an installer you can end up with it installed.

Other places CCleaner will detect it will be located in your Application Data ("AppData") folder(s).

It's quite possible is was installed by accident but I don't see it in CCleaner's list of installed programs

​I did see one folder under C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\that I deleted.  Restarted CCleaner and the entries are still there.

Anywhere else I should look?

• Moderators

Here's a general search for it that will show search results for multiple operating systems:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=google+chrome+path

Usually it's going to install into one of your user profile AppData folders not the Admin profile, unless your profile is actually that Admin profile.

Edited by Andavari
typo

• Moderators

similar thread here; https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=42933&p=259323 from over a year ago.

see if anything there helps.  (I suspect the last post, which re-affirms Andavari's advice)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Interesting older thread.  Nothing is showing up in Autoruns, Control Panel, regedit (except for lower case chrome Zone entries), Revo and msconfig.  Only shows in the CCleaner list under the Applications tab.  

I also un-hid whatever hidden files and folders that were there and did a search.  I then did another search focusing on the User/Appdata folders & files that Andavari was pointing out and nothing there.  The only thing showing up is (lower case) chrome entries for Firefox and Ironkey backup.

I did notice they appeared not long after I updated WINAPP2 to the latest version.  I had an old one in there that was a couple of years old, so I updated it.  I also have the trim.bat file in there as well in order to compact the entries and ran it.

Would that have something to do with it?

​No response about WINAPP2?  

​I've already deleted Portable Chrome since it's causing these kinds of problems.  I don't like the way it embeds itself in my system and I can't get rid of it if I want to.  I realize all browsers leave some kind of trace, but I was able to easily delete traces of Pale Moon through the registry and that removed it's entries from CCleaner's Application Tab.  Why not Chrome's?

• Moderators

Were you using Google Chrome Portable from PortableApps.com, or something else?

If it's from PortableApps.com:

Their launchers will allow a browser to create the AppData it needs to function, and then when closing the browser that launcher will delete that AppData. That is if the browser or Windows hasn't crashed, etc. Usually the leftovers are as stated before something left within AppData, usually caused by a crash. You may need Admin rights on your PC to delete the AppData.

Edit 2:

Found this rather interesting from the PortableApps.com site from the provided link above. Perhaps that's why you're having issues getting rid of it, but I don't know for sure since I've never used Google Chrome Portable.

Some Settings Locked Per PC

Edited by Andavari
changed some text

Yes it was a PortableApps version.  I also recently found out about having your Settings Locked Per PC by plugging my flash drive into another PC and seeing my stored Chrome extensions disappear right before my eyes.  Still yet another reason to get rid of crapware Chrome off the flash drive and installed portable Chromium to take it's place instead.

Is there anything else you would suggest?

Thanks

• Moderators

Also note the changelog for the latest ccleaner includes "Optimized detection and cleaning of portable browsers" so it maybe due to that.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Also note: Chromium will appear in ccleaner as the "Chrome section" (as do all browsers show under their "parent" brandname). so just to be sure is it showing for some clone?

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

The only other things I can think of are:
1. Make sure you've actually deleted it from the PortableApps folder, typically this will be located in:
C:\PortableApps

2. If it's still being detected download NirSoft SearchMyFiles note that it may cause your antivirus to falsely detect it.

In SearchMyFiles search for on all hard disks: chrome*
If it finds chrome.dll or chrome.exe you can right-click either of them from within SearchMyFiles to directly open the folder either are located in.

Also note: Chromium will appear in ccleaner as the "Chrome section" (as do all browsers show under their "parent" brandname). so just to be sure is it showing for some clone?

Yeah. If using any detectable and cleanable Chrome/Chromium browser that will happen.

Also note the changelog for the latest ccleaner includes "Optimized detection and cleaning of portable browsers" so it maybe due to that.

So it will automatically detect it and clean it, even if the path is G:\ or H:\ or I:\ or whatever the next letter is available?

I don't have to go into the .ini (?) file and manually change the path each time?

• Moderators

So it will automatically detect it and clean it, even if the path is G:\ or H:\ or I:\ or whatever the next letter is available? I don't have to go into the .ini (?) file and manually change the path each time?
Good question, I'll try and get a Developer answer on that.

​The reason I ask is I would think having an "Optimized detection and cleaning of portable browsers" would be useless, unless it had some kind of automated path detector to go with it. 

Altering the .ini file all the time would be time-consuming, especially with a portable who's drive letters will vary.

• Moderators

No answer yet forthcoming, sorry

Any new news on this auto-detect feature?

i don't think there will be an auto detect feature

might cause cc to load slower than cc with untrimmed winapp2.ini

"Optimized detection and cleaning of portable browsers" based on CustomLocationX :D

Might be better if we can add the portable location using CC instead of using Notepad/Regedit

• Moderators

@dvdbane, please read the thread before answering :P we're talking about the changelog's mention of "better detection" and whether that change is causing his issue: the appearance of Chrome in ccleaner when only portable version is used and no customlocation in use.

too lazy to read from 1st post :P

that reply for post 16 and 17 which i still think there no way portable browser auto detect will be included in cc

...read again 1st post.... :D

in post 7, he wrote it happen after he update winapp2.ini so better remove it first or rename the file

please check for CustomLocation in ccleaner.ini/registry

does the chrome entries got * at the end of each rule?

​...read again 1st post.... :D

in post 7, he wrote it happen after he update winapp2.ini so better remove it first or rename the file

please check for CustomLocation in ccleaner.ini/registry

does the chrome entries got * at the end of each rule?

When I used to use CCleaner Portable, I knew where to find the .ini file, but on my desktop I don't know where it is.

see image (I've un-hidden the folders/files under the Tools menu)

http://i.imgur.com/2fDpaWi.jpg

I should also mention that I use Opera and Vivaldi on my portable apps drive as well.  Do they show up as Chrome cloned settings under the Applications tab?  Because I don't see them as distinct and separate.  In fact I don't see entries for them at all.

If not, then why weren't they detected?

The reason I ask is I still only see one group for Chrome and none of these browsers are installed natively on my C:\ which is the reason why I started this thread in the first place.

The Pale Moon settings were easy to remove.  Google Chrome is not.​

:blink: too many chrome-based browser

new opera and Vivaldi should be under chrome too

can you share the screenshot of cc for the chrome section?

please rename winapp2.ini to something else like Xwinapp2.ini so we can exclude winapp2.ini as the cause of this problem

also try Analyze and see the result which browser the rules detect

:blink: too many chrome-based browser

new opera and Vivaldi should be under chrome too

can you share the screenshot of cc for the chrome section?

please rename winapp2.ini to something else like Xwinapp2.ini so we can exclude winapp2.ini as the cause of this problem

also try Analyze and see the result which browser the rules detect

​Screenshot of chrome section here:

http://i.imgur.com/PBQ8FYj.jpg

​After changing winapp2.ini to Xwinapp2.ini, the Chrome section looks like this

http://i.imgur.com/lPCvE8M.jpg

Smaller, yet still there

Smaller, yet still there

try Analyze and check which browser/location the rule detect

check your cc settings for CustomLocation just to be sure there are no CL

open cc > Tools > Browser plugins > Chrome > right click any plugin/extension > Open containing folder