Custom index.dat not deleted

Hello,

First time here. CCleaner is a wonderful wonderful program. Thanks for making it available.

I can't say this is a "bug". But I'll describe the problem:

I'm using Internet Explorer (IE6) on Windows XP Pro. I don't want my "Temporary Internet Files" location to be on my boot drive, because I try to keep that as clear as possible. So I've assigned "Temporary Internet Files" to a different drive. I've worked this way for years with no problem.

I'm logged on as a User, but with Administrative privileges. So no problem with registry-access issues as a "Limited User", as described in "mikemga's" thread on March 25th.

CCleaner does seem to delete the index.dat in the default IE location (Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat).

What I can't seem to do, by hook or by crook, is in CCleaner's Custom Files and Folders area, to get it to recognize the "index.dat" in my custom folder. The path would be something like this:

"F:\MyName\IE\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat"

In fact, this path is listed by CCleaner. But when I go to "Analyze", it doesn't "find" the file, nor does it delete the file, or "mark it for deletion". Even after running CCleaner, and/or Logging Off, and/or Rebooting, the index.dat file is sitting there untouched. (The file is currently over 2MB.) (By the way, I do know several of the other manual ways to get rid of that index.dat file. But they all involve a few steps, and I'd like to have CCleaner do it, if possible.)

I also tried the path "IE\Temporary Internet Files\History\History.IE5\index.dat" [instead of "Content.IE5"] but that didn't work either. I input these paths in CCleaner by "Browsing" to them, as far as I remember.---Sorry I've been working on this for a few days, off & on.---I believe I also input one of these paths by typing it directly into the CCleaner's "Options" key in the registry. (In both "User" and "Current User".)

Besides using the path and filename "index.dat", I've also set it to delete everything in the Temporary Internet Folder (the *.* option). This does find & delete cookies, desktop.ini, and other files. But not the infamous index.dat.

Anyway, so far I figure that CCleaner is made to "expect" to do some kind of "security" trick to get rid of index.dat in the normal Windows or Internet Explorer location. But perhaps dealing with an index.dat in a custom location is something CCleaner doesn't expect? So it doesn't get through Window's own security precautions.

In the other thread by the "Limited User", it's suggested to check the registry value

"PendingFileRenameOperations" in the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager. The files indicated there are recreated at bootup. I tried to manually add my custom path & file there, but it didn't "stick" upon reboot.

I'm sure one fix would be to bite the bullet & just put my index.dat back in the default Internet Explorer location on the boot drive. But having thousands of tiny extra files (from IE) constantly fragmenting my boot drive is not real exciting.

Sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I didn't find any more information about it in the forum. Thanks if anyone has suggestions, or wants to work with me on it.

Best Regards, JohnnyG.