all the small things..

Pyle78

Hi everyone, new on forum but longtime Speccy user here.

There is one small thing that always bugs a bit, could there be added info on CPU/GPU section that tells you your CPU/GPU's maximum operating temperature??

That would make this awesome piece of software even better  :D

• Moderators

How would Speccy know that magical figure?

I would have thought too many variables are at play; fan size, number of fans, heat sink size, RPMs, etc.

Each make/model would have it's own normal operational and high bands.

If the firmware held that info, then Speccy would be able to report it through WMI, but is that info there now?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 month later...

It would take a ton of time to compile the thermal design data for CPUs into Speccy. Fortunately, you can easily look up the design specs for any specific CPU at:

http://www.cpu-world.com/index.html

They have done a splendid job of compiling information from the manufacturer's data sheets for each CPU model. For example, the following cpu-world page shows the specs for the Intel Core I5-5670K CPUs which is in one of my computers. You will see that this CPU's maximum operating temperature is 72.72 Celsius:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-4670K.html

As a general rule of thumb, I always set CPU temperature alarms in BIOS to 60 Celsius. If the BIOS allows me to set fan speeds for the CPU, then I set the fan speed to 100% once the CPU temperature hits 50 Celsius. If I can't run my CPUs at 100% workload and keep the CPU temperature to 60 Celsius or below, then I know that I need to install a better CPU heatsink/fan and/or add additional case fans.

As far as GPUs go, it is always best to check the manufacturer's web site for the specific data sheet.