remove 'personal' information from Speccy's Network option

Sebastian431620

Under Network Shares I found a list of paths (NO LONGER correct) to files and folders that relate to pictures and other personal material. Is there a way of 'cleaning' this out of Speccy's Network Shares ? The only exceptions [NOT highly personal] are MSOCache, and three entries involving System Volume Information .

• Moderators

on my PC, Network Shares (in Speccy) only shows the folders on my PC that I have shared out over the workgroup.

if you don't want those folders listed to be shared, right click them in File Explorer, Properties, Sharing tab, and adjust accordingly.

they will then not be shown in Speccy's Network Shares.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I was waiting for an alert, that I did not get ['follow this topic' is ticked !] - that is why I have not reacted till now. The list of 'undesirable' references comprised several folders. I could remove them from the referrals list in Speccy by setting them to 'sharing with no-one'. However, that did not work for the most frequently listed folder. On inspection I found that the paths remaining in Speccy were no longer correct. So your method constitutes only a partial solution giving SOME improvement. Thank you for that.

The references to inaccurate paths are reflected in (and derived from ?) Computer\HKEY  LOCAL  MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\LanmanServer\Shares\, from which they can be deleted, and in turn disappeared from Speccy. That still leaves lots of 'private' folders (NOT files) listed UNWARRANTEDLY in Speccy's Network Shares. Setting the 'offending' parent folder to 'shared with' nobody, does not correct this situation. There are still 12 unwarranted entries in Speccy  - all twelve in that 'offending' parent folder; which, according to Windows Explorer has 174 items, 22 of them shared. This '22' and '12' appear to be totally random numbers. By trial and error I finally got rid of all unwarranted entries in Speccy, through a combination of deletion from the Registry key listed above, and setting 'share with' to Nobody, for some folders.