Wipe MFT Free Space Drive C

spetho2001

I have CCleaner installed on two computers and I notice that I was just trying to run the cleaner on one computer and it was taking forever. I noticed under ADVANCED the WIPE FREE SPACE is checked by default so as it is running it says ADVANCED WIPE MFT Free Space - C Drive. The box is only check on one computer and not on the other. Can anyone tell me what the story is? What does MFT stand for?  Do I need to do this WIPE FREE SPACE?

Thank you,

TomS

• Moderators

The default is not to have this box checked. I would advise unchecking it, it is not something you would want to do every time you run CC. MFT is the Master File Table, a system file holding info for all files on the device.

• Moderators

If you right click on it and select Restore Default State you will see what the default is. Also in Options/Settings no disks are selected by default for wiping, nor is Wipe MFT selected by default. Assuming you have a current valid version of CC.

Augeas,

I have version V5.16.5551 (64-bit) and I assume it is current. I do see when you right click on Cleaner, Windows and click on Restore default state that the WIPE FREE SPACE is not checked but on my CCleaner when I choose OPTIONS, BASIC SETTINGS TO CONTROL HOW CCLEANER FUNCTIONS there does not seem to be any option to click on anything to restore default settings. Restoring default settings in Cleaner, Windows does not change the settings in Options,settings.

Under my  OPTIONS, BASIC SETTINGS TO CONTROL HOW CCLEANER FUNCTIONS these functions seem to be selected by default

Selected

Secure Deletion

Normal File Deletion

Wipe Free Space Drives       Local Disk (C:)

Under this box there is a separate option

Wipe MFT Free Space    that is selected.

I say these are selected by default because I certainly did not select them.

Are you telling me these boxes should not be checked. I could uninstall and reinstall and see if they are still checked. 

The CCleaner on this computer runs fine. It was my other computer where Wipe Free Space under Advanced under Cleaner, Windows was checked that I discovered took forever as I did not notice the check mark in this box as I have to scroll down to see it.

Thank you,   TomS