Can't install network connector

Zeekid

Hope this is in the right forum.  I was trying to install a new 5G usb network connector.  I used CC to uninstall the old driver and related program.  Now I can't install the new one or the old one.  Everything seems to be going fine with the reinstall but I cannot enable either device.  "No network connections are available."  There may be a problem with the device and there may be a problem with the driver warning are also displayed when I try to troubleshoot.  Another message I get is " Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter.

I am running windows 7 sp1 with all the updates.  I have disabled my antivirus and spybot during the reinstall.  I have uninstalled and rebooted dozens of times along with trying every usb port. 

Is there anything ccc would have removed when I used it to do my initial connector uninstall?  I have been able to test the other connectors using my wife's computer and they install ok.

Thanks

• Moderators

Another possible culprit is if you have a 3rd party software firewall installed, they don't always play nice with driver installations and have to sometimes be fully disabled to allow the installation to properly succeed.

As for the driver that isn't installing, look in the Program Files folder, and user profile area Application Data folders for leftovers that may need to be manually deleted. Reason is sometimes leftovers in those locations can cause a reinstall to always fail.

Edit:

Forgot to mention. Make sure you have System Restore enabled and turned on. About three months ago I couldn't install Nvidia Display Drivers because I had System Restore disabled and the drivers would fail to install 100% of the time.

• Moderators

Are you sure the 5G USB network connector (do you mean 5Ghz wireless? Or do you refer to a mobile phone style modem?) is compatible with Windows 7? Did you install the drivers?

Edit:

Also I just realized you had (deep in your question) something about did ccc remove something...are you asking about ccleaner? If so what routines did you run (just the junk cleaning? Registry cleaning?) You asked your question in the general computer help board of this site, so I know I missed that it was a ccleaner question, and think my fellow moderator may have also missed it

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I realized that "ccc" meant CCleaner, but since the deed was already done and is now an install/reinstall problem I focused on that.

I know from past experience if something was installed via a Windows Installer package (.MSI) it shouldn't later try to be uninstalled with CCleaner because Windows Installer will complain during uninstall that CCleaner must be closed to continue. Ignoring that Windows Installer warning I don't know what the consequences would be. Although I don't know if those network connector drivers were originally installed via a Windows Installer package or not so the above may have no merit on the issue this topic is about.

Edited by Andavari

Thank you all for the responses!  You are all correct.  Yes I am installing a 5G wireless network connector to my desktop.  I faced a multitude of problems.  I did uninstall my old connector with cccleaner and that made windows uninstaller unhappy.  When I tried to use windows restore to back up a few days, it didn't help.  I finally went back to basics and uninstalled the "new connector driver".  I rebooted to safe mode and disabled my AVG (antivirus).  Next I uninstalled Malwarebytes, Spybot, ccCleaner, and ZoneAlarm. 

I uninstalled these programs one at a time and tried to install my new connector after each individual program uninstall.  Finally when I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and went through the Mediatec connector setup, it (the connector) worked.  I rebooted back in normal mode, reinstalled the deleted programs to include Zonealarm and everything is copacetic.  Now I know,  I should have uninstalled the old connector through device manager> network adapters not with CCCleaner.  Then I should have uninstalled Zonealarm before trying to install my new network adapter. 

ps:  CC Cleaner did clean up the messy leftovers from my work.  Thanks also for the registry cleaning tip.  I have been using CC Cleaner for several years and it is super!!

Sincerely,

Zeekid

• Moderators

ZoneAlarm always gave me issues with driver installations, but that's been so many years ago - hard to believe they've never fixed that about it. It was the one reason I mentioned if you had a software firewall installed!