Anyone use Norton AV?

sonsie

Jeez, I had one friend who kept getting pop-up warnings from their AV program - so they got a pop-up blocker! Of course, they'd never up-dated it since they got it anyway.

LOL!!

This post made my day! Finally, something really stupid I haven't done! Yet.

Many have ranted about Norton and probably with good reason. As both a System Engineer and tech I install it without any problems. How one sets it up and then UPDATES is the most important part of having it or any AV program. Even the "anti...." programs require diligence in updating to make them work properly.

I for one will NEVER use or recommend McAfee products. This is based on something in the DOS and early Windows days after the company was sold. On the opposite end, Norton could have kept his company but merged. He also did a huge deal with Microsoft (check the system tools) and also notice that AV is nearly required in XP SP2. I do agree that the annual renewal pricing is very high. However, one can get DAILY updates from the website and they are out there every day so it seems.

To the writer that started this with his 573-that is simply your own fault for NOT updating the program and running it at least once a week. No anti-virus program is any better than another one if it is NOT updated and used.

Will I switch after my subscription runs out-probably and to AVG. Why, because Norton now has a hook in its installers that will not allow you to reinstall certain parts of the Utilities and AV programs if you have a crash. It is also true that the "freeware" and low cost AV programs are not bloated like the big commercial ones. How do these commercial programs get you-just as described on NEW computers from Dell, Gateway, etc. Be vewry careful when you go to remove and/or format the hard drive of your brand new machine-have ALL of the drivers, etc ready to reinstall. These manufacturers have a deal with MS that can make things interesting-but this is a different subject.

Good luck to those that do NOT have a hardware firewall-my Linksys works great, btw. If you have a wireless network, make sure to use maximum encryption capability too. BTW<we only recommend Ad-Aware as a supplement to Norton along with Crap Cleaner.

To the writer that started this with his 573-that is simply your own fault for NOT updating the program and running it at least once a week. No anti-virus program is any better than another one if it is NOT updated and used.

Sorry, but I find it humorous that you blindly rush to the defense of Norton without even asking me if I run updates or how often. I get updates daily on all of my security programs- 3 days is the longest I've gone without one. I don't even wait for the LiveUpdate, which I believe runs once a week, but instead opt for the 'Intelligent Updater'. I also run a full scan a minimum of twice a week.

I'm not here to argue, but I did want to correct your emphatic statement that I don't update or run scans. I simply asked a question that apparently no one, including you, can answer.

This is the record of the increase in worm signatures.

3/16/2006 5:40:03 AM Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.

3/16/2006 5:40:03 AM Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.

3/16/2006 5:40:03 AM Internet Worm Protection Signature File Version: 12/8/2005 Rev. 51. Internet Worm Protection Engine Version: 2.0.0.50707.

3/16/2006 5:41:15 AM Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.

3/16/2006 5:41:15 AM Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.

3/16/2006 5:41:15 AM Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.

3/16/2006 5:44:11 AM Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.

---->>3/16/2006 5:44:12 AM Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.

---->>3/16/2006 6:59:22 AM Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 574 signatures.

3/16/2006 6:59:22 AM Internet Worm Protection Signature File Version: 3/15/2006 Rev. 74. Internet Worm Protection Engine Version: 2.0.0.50707.

3/16/2006 6:59:22 AM Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.

sonsie

However, one can get DAILY updates from the website and they are out there every day so it seems.

So I'm guessing you think that is a pretty big deal then? You do realize that AVG is smaller than Norton, faster than Norton, less resource-consuming than Norton, FREE, and it gets updates EVERY SINGLE DAY? Frankly, I don't see Norton's daily update as a cool feature; I see it as a necessity. So I don't really think that is something to brag about, as there is no reason for daily updates NOT to be there.

And, if you have a good firewall (in other words, any non-Symantec firewall :D ), whether software or hardware based, the necessity to run an antivirus scan weekly is no longer there. Sure, do it if it makes you sleep better at night, but if your firewall is configured probably, constant scanning just roasts your platters, and doesn't really prove anything.

I haven't gotten anything malicious at all since I installed ZA Pro long ago. No viruses and no spyware whatsoever, and my computer runs great. I run an antivirus scan every 1-2 months, just for kicks, cause I know that I'll always come up clean.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

And, if you have a good firewall (in other words, any non-Symantec firewall ), whether software or hardware based, the necessity to run an antivirus scan weekly is no longer there

hi lokoike,

Funny you should mention that. Shortly after I added a router with firewall, and then also added Kerio personal firewall, I noticed I no longer had anything on my scans! Prior to that I'd get 1-5 'bad guys' almost every day, even if it was only a tracker that I picked up with Ad-Aware. In fact, before the firewalls, I don't think I ever ran an Ad-Aware scan without finding at least one 'critical item'. It probably happened but it doesn't stand out in my memory.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but suddenly Ad-Aware has updates available almost daily, whereas it used to be every couple of weeks.

sonsie----->who just found out recently that she has a wee bit of the Scottish in her. ^_^

hi lokoike,

Funny you should mention that. Shortly after I added a router with firewall, and then also added Kerio personal firewall, I noticed I no longer had anything on my scans! Prior to that I'd get 1-5 'bad guys' almost every day, even if it was only a tracker that I picked up with Ad-Aware. In fact, before the firewalls, I don't think I ever ran an Ad-Aware scan without finding at least one 'critical item'. It probably happened but it doesn't stand out in my memory.

I know the feeling! I did tech work at my highschool, and I would periodically find over100 nasty items with Ad-Aware on our un-firewalled Dells! It was miserable! I honestly don't know how I survived before I got mine.

sonsie----->who just found out recently that she has a wee bit of the Scottish in her. ^_^

Ah, splendid! Good to see you aren't "CRAP!!!" . Not to say that I thought you were... :D

ding, ding!

• Moderators

You do realize that AVG is smaller than Norton, faster than Norton, less resource-consuming than Norton, FREE, and it gets updates EVERY SINGLE DAY?

Yeah AVG is smaller and less bloated than NAV, however than explains many av's when comparing them to NAV

Although I like AVG, have you noticed that it now has the largest setup file out of all the free full featured av's available (even though the setup file is an SFX RAR archive)?

Although I like AVG, have you noticed that it now has the largest setup file out of all the free full featured av's available (even though the setup file is an SFX RAR archive)?

Yes, that's true, but it has always been the largest of the three. I guess it doesn't phase me too much since in comparison to other av's, it is still far smaller! I haven't used the other two antivirus apps, since I have always had good luck with AVG, so maybe they are faster, but I really couldn't say. And when it comes down to it, I would rather have a slightly larger install if it means a bigger/better virus database.

ding, ding!

And when it comes down to it, I would rather have a slightly larger install if it means a bigger/better virus database.

Good point. But is it the database that makes it larger? How would you know?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Good point. But is it the database that makes it larger? How would you know?

I don't. I just hope that is what is porking it up! :D

It doesn't seem like the visuals have changed all that much in the newer versions, although I didn't pay real close attention to pervious versions appearance. So if it isn't a GUI tweak, improvements to the scanning engine and definitions are all I can think of.

AVG Free isn't bundled with anything, so that certainly isn't the cause! :P

ding, ding!

• Moderators

Well AVG's installer is bigger but the funny thing is once installed according to Add or Remove Programs it was smaller once installed when compared to AntiVir however both AVG and AntiVir are using SFX RAR archives that launch the installer. Perhaps AVG is including a bunch of other languages, and OS support and just skips them once it detects the type of system someone is using.

Perhaps AVG is including a bunch of other languages, and OS support and just skips them once it detects the type of system someone is using.

Oh, didn't think of that! You might be right, ol chap. Of course, I don't take much stock in the values listed next to programs in Add/Remove Programs, as they are frequently faulty.

For example, I had an old video game that I installed on my computer. The entire game was about 3.5 MB. Then I went and installed the documentation, which takes about 50k or so. Both have separate installers, so both were listed in Add/Remove Programs. Windows correctly listed the game as 3.5 MB, but for some odd reason, it listed the documentation as 3,560 MB. Seriously!

I wasn't missing 3 GB (that would be a 10th of my HD, so I would definitely notice it!), not to mention, the game and documentation was on a CD which also contained about 300 MB of music, which leaves about 400 MB to work with. So unless the documentation was compressed reeeeeeal good, that wouldn't even be possible to fit 3 GB in 400 MB of space.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling dozens of times, and it always came up with the same figure. Stupid Windows...

ding, ding!