Secure Overwrite Highlighted/Checked

reichmaj

Recuva Discussion

Curious to know if I am using Recuva correctly.  When I perform a search, then Switch to the Advance Mode, and highlight or check a sequence of files to be Overwritten (State: Excellent) I find that if I rescan the files don't appear to have been overwritten.  What might I be missing 

Jeff

• Moderators

Recuva won't, and can't, overwrite the file name as it is held in untouchable meta-data. However the file's contents would have been overwritten, as can be checked in the File Header panel. To get rid of the file names you need to run CCleaner's wipe free space.

Thanks for the insight.  I really don't have any need to "securely" clean files and or my unused space.  But it has been interesting experimenting with ccleaner and Recuva (which has been a life saver).  File "deletion" (securely) and MFT's clean up is quite a complicated issue.

• Moderators

I forgot to add that when a file is overwritten in Recuva its state changes to Overwritten. If a rescan is run the state reverts to Excellent, as on the second scan Recuva has no knowledge that the file had been overwritten previously.