CCleaner removing tabs and tab groups

aljones

Since I don't see anything else relating to this I apparently have something set wrong.

Every time I run ccleaner, as the title says, I lose my current tabs and tab groups.

I have several projects on the stove, so shove the inactive ones to the back burner (move them to a different tab group)

Currently running:

• Firefox 43.0.4
  • ccleaner 5.12.5431

ccleaner applications tab has EVERYTHING for Firefox UNchecked.

So why do I keep losing tabs and groups???

• Moderators

Your version of CCleaner is one version outdated, new version is here:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Since this has been an issue since 2013 for you without a solution I'd recommend doing the following to narrow down the cause:

1. Open CCleaner, and then untick all Firefox cleaners in CCleaner.

2. Enable one Firefox cleaner in CCleaner, then right click that one cleaner and select Clean.

3. Open Firefox to see if your tabs/tab groups are intact, if they are still intact close Firefox.

4. In CCleaner keep doing this one Firefox cleaner at a time then opening/closing Firefox until you find exactly which cleaner is wiping out your tabs/tabs groups. Shouldn't take too long.

Once you find which one is the culprit leave it unticked/disabled in CCleaner.

Do share your results.

My apologies again for the duplication of a topic but I didn't see the other post until after I'd started this.

Andavari, maybe I'm missing something here, I can do as you suggest, but everything under applications -> firefox *is* unchecked.  Why would checking one and testing make a difference?

I'll go get the new version now, I normally stay within a version or two of current and since this has been an ongoing problem for me I didn't think updating would be *that* critical.

If I come across as being argumentative, I'm not, it's just that I'm trying to understand your logic.

• Moderators

everything under applications -> firefox *is* unchecked.  Why would checking one and testing make a difference?

Since everything is already unticked my suggestion wouldn't work for you.

The testing proposed was if you had the Firefox cleaners enabled (like how CCleaner has them selected and on by default during setup) so you could figure out which was removing the settings, but since you don't have any ticked that's not the cause of your issue.

• Moderators

On that, since nothing for firefox is being cleaned by ccleaner (that's what the checkmarks are for) are you sure it's ccleaner that's removing your seesion details and not an add-on or FireFox itself.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Are you sure that its CCleaner doing this?

Have you checked your settings in Firefox itself?

In Firefox go to-

Options (the cogwheel at the top right, or the 'Tools' menu if you have menus showing).
General
'When Firefox starts'
set this to-

'Show my windows and tabs from last time'

And as Nergal says: check your Firefox Add-ons to make sure one of them is not removing your sessions.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Do you have anything included in your custom files/folders to delete? (This can be found in Options -> Include)

Nope, they're both empty (er, both = include and exclude)

On that, since nothing for firefox is being cleaned by ccleaner (that's what the checkmarks are for) are you sure it's ccleaner that's removing your seesion details and not an add-on or FireFox itself.

Actually, no I'm not sure.  That's what makes this so bloody irritating! 

Are you sure that its CCleaner doing this?

Have you checked your settings in Firefox itself?

In Firefox go to-

Options (the cogwheel at the top right, or the 'Tools' menu if you have menus showing).

General

'When Firefox starts'

set this to-

'Show my windows and tabs from last time'

And as Nergal says: check your Firefox Add-ons to make sure one of them is not removing your sessions.

(you missed 'Options' :) ) Restore Windows and tabs from last time - oh, definitely!  I normally have 3 - 4 tab groups available; 3 pinned tabs and 4 - 8 tabs (depending on the group)

While I do have several WebDev addons loaded this is sporadic enough that I don't think it's any of them.  This seems to occur after running CCleaner but not every time.  And I can't find a consistent anything to 'peg' it to!

While I just:

• Booted Computer
  • Loaded Firefox (tabs in place)
  • Ran ccleaner (got rid of the old InsiderPreview, etc)
  • closed Firefox
  • loaded firefox - all copasetic
  • closed firefox
  • ran ccleaner - didn't find much
  • opened Firefox - all fine
  • closed firefox
  • ran ccleaner - registery (and of course after an insiderPreview update last night, it found a lot, mostly video card stuff and Framework V1)
  • reran ccleaner registry - registry and found a few more Framework Vi entries.
  • loaded Firefox and everything is fine.  I have no tab groups, they went away a while back and I haven't done anything to need them - I will create a tab group later today when I do some genealogy - probably.

If I've done something wrong there, give me some ideas.

This is what makes this exercise so blasted frustrating.  They only seem to disappear after I've used ccleaner - but not all the time.  I'm game for any comments / suggestions since it's obviously something that I cannot replicate consistently - but I wish that whatever it is (and I think it's ccleaner) would leave my tabs / tabgroups alone

• Moderators

How about not running CCleaner for 5-7 days? This includes completely turning off the monitoring it has if you have that enabled in Options > Monitoring.

This will help figure out if CCleaner is the cause or not. If you can go that amount of time without loosing your tabs you'll pretty much know it's CCleaner fault, but if those tabs disappear again when not using CCleaner the culprit is something else.

Andavari, normally I just run it after I've looked at some program(s), decided they're not what I wanted and then do some housecleaning.

I don't use monitoring, the only 3rd party monitoring I have on my system is my anti-virus; there are just too many that claim to do such miraculous things that I gave up looking at them.  Not to say that some of them aren't good, just that *I* don't feel I benefit enough from them to have them online all the time.

The major part of the reason I'm looking at CCleaner is that I've never, that I recall, lost tabs during normal use, it always occurs after having used ccleaner.

I'll let this hang until I lose them and see if I can put together a recreatable scenario.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@PGGraham,

what is your CC version, FF version?

what, in the above posts, have you already tried?  (things already stated are FF add-ons, includes, default settings)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.