Windows 10 Update Issue

jbankson

This morning I updated my Windows 10 with the November update. (build 10586.3)

I had the full version of Speccy installed. When the Upgrade completed, yes it acted like an upgrade, I got a message saying Speccy was removed because it was not supported by the OS.

I can try and reinstall but wanted to ask first in this forum because I added Speccy the first time after a clean install to Windows 10 when it first was released. So Windows never saw it. It was not like I had it on Windows 8.1 and did an upgrade. I did that to get a "free" upgrade but then re-installed a clean install using the new Windows 10 key.

Speccy has been humming along since. It was only when I did this upgrade (I thought it was an update but it acted like a full upgrade) to the new November update that it removed it.

So what I am wondering is does Speccy actually 100% support Windows 10 or just Windows 8.1 and it happened to run OK on Windows 10.

I didn't want to re-install until I ran this by the group.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yes the same thing happened last night when I updated Win 10 Threshold2. It removed Speccy.

I re-downloaded Speccy and installed it. When I ran it Speccy seemed to open up ok but then hung while it was analysing my system qickly followed by a BSOD.

So on my system it appears not to be compatible with the latest build of Windows 10.

Same here. Speccy was uninstalled when I first upgraded to Windows 10 (Build 10240) 3 months ago, but could be reinstalled. Now it just does not work. It was a paid product and so I have launched a support request.

The current version is older than Windows 10 so needs to be fixed.

• Moderators

This is a known issue. It is with the 64 bit speccy (or more specifically the embedded cpu-z64 within speccy), if you delete or rename speccy64.exe and run speccy.exe you should not get a bsod and/or forbidden use of the program. While I lack inside information, the developers read all threads and I am sure they are working on the problem.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
I also have this problem.

What is the solution Piriform?  I have paid for the professional version of this program and Windows 10 has been out for some time now.

A solution please?

Cheers Kym

If you have the paid version, you can use your priority support account and may get an answer from them. I've attempted to get somebody to try the method I stated, but nobody has.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

I've attempted to get somebody to try the method I stated, but nobody has.

I did, back in September;  http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=44170&p=266736

Not a solution but a work-around for the interim.

But I don't recall reading any posts that confirm this 'solution' has worked for the few threads on this topic now.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I've attempted to get somebody to try the method I stated, but nobody has.

I did, back in September;  http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=44170&p=266736

Not a solution but a work-around for the interim.

But I don't recall reading any posts that confirm this 'solution' has worked for the few threads on this topic now.

ha yes, I knew somebody had tried this, I couldn't easily find it at the time.

And, of course, you are correct I was not suggesting this as a permanent solution, but something to get users by while, as I suppose, the developers work on it

I've also had the same problem though in my case it didn't uninstall the program (I could still launch Speccy) but W10 did uninstall the Speccy uninstaller! I just reinstalled Speccy and all seems to be working fine.

Edit: Just updated my laptop this Monday evening to the new Windows 10 build and had the same problem as I had with my dekstop on Saturday evening - the Speccy uninstaller was uninstalled but the program was still running. Again I just reinstalled Speccy and all is working well again with the Speccy uninstaller now back in Programs and Features.

Reply from Piriform,

Andrew Howell (Piriform Support)

Nov 17, 09:10

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear you're having some trouble.

We have gotten a few reports regarding this matter. Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that Speccy has certain issues with some computers running Windows 10, so we do not recommend using it on Windows 10 at all at this time. There should be an update for Speccy released shortly, however, that will bring it back into full compatibility with Windows 10.

You can keep up to date with the latest updates for our products, including Speccy, by subscribing to our newsletter here: www.piriform.com/subscribe

If you need anything else, just email me back.

Regards

Andrew

Just like to add fantastic support speed of reply was less than 2hrs and now we know working on it and update will fix it soon Cheers Andrew

• Moderators

Hi everybody,

I've news. No not of an update, as often mentioned the Moderator group has zero inside information of that ilk.

however there was an article published on softpedia (not usually my site of choice for either news or downloads but I digress)

in the article, it says a number of well known applications are having this issue (and name CPUZ and Speccy as one of many by name)

at the end there's a paragraph

Threshold 2 also creates a Windows.old folder on the C: drive that groups all removed apps, so you can have a look in there too in case you suspect that the installer deleted one of the programs.

here is the article for all you reader types,

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-removes-some-desktop-programs-during-install-496120.shtml

I've also (temporaraly until Microsoft makes this issue disappear) stickied this thread I'd APPRCIATE not seeing a bunch of "Me Too" posts so please try to be grown-ups and only post useful information hence forth

Smiles and Love,

Nergal

• Moderators

Can a user with this issue confirm my findings. When I reinstalled speccy (after t2 install) it ran and worked correctly. I'm restarting now to see if speccy survives a reboot of threshold2

Can a user with this issue confirm my findings. When I reinstalled speccy (after t2 install) it ran and worked correctly. I'm restarting now to see if speccy survives a reboot of threshold2

Being the one who started this thread, yes I did reinstall for grins but started to get the Blue Screen crash when using it. I did not install the workaround 32 bit version as I would rather wait for the 64 bit to be fixed.

Jeff

• Moderators

I installed Speccy yesterday on v1511 (Th2) and the 64 bit .exe is working with no problems that I can see.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Being the one who started this thread, yes I did reinstall for grins but started to get the Blue Screen crash when using it. I did not install the workaround 32 bit version as I would rather wait for the 64 bit to be fixed.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, when did you try reinstall? As two of us have successfully reinstalled and run the 64bit version with no issue in the last few days, maybe if you try again (assuming you tried before my post) it may work

Hey Jeff, when did you try reinstall? As two of us have successfully reinstalled and run the 64bit version with no issue in the last few days, maybe if you try again (assuming you tried before my post) it may work

Sorry for the long delay. I was out of town and then tied up but just came back for an update and saw this. The only thing I noticed was my install was using an older version and when I clicked on the Check  for Update, it would download but not install. I removed the older version again and found the 1.28.709 64bit Pro version and installed it. The Check for Update would not auto install which I found interesting.

Since installing it again, I have not had a blue screen failure and it appears to be working fine. Not sure if re-updating Windows 10 would uninstall it again which of course is an issue regardless.

Let's hope it keep working as it.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue as others, but with something on top.

Windows 10 notified me that Speccy wasn't compatible with W10 and that it had removed it (without my permission, annoyingly enough).

I reinstalled Speccy and it seems to work fine, but whenever it's running my keyboard will drop random letters for no reason, maybe about 1/20 times.

I tested this thoroughly with notepad, by typing something repetitive like ioioioioioioio and looking for ii or oo strings.

They only appear when Speccy is running, with great frequency. As soon as I close it my keyboard works fine again.

Until this is fixed I'll have to leave it disabled.

• Moderators

Hmmm, that sounds like something the coders can get their teeth into.

Although I couldn't duplicate it on my system; Win10 Pro 64 10586.29 and Speccy v1.28.709 32bit (due to current 64bit BSoD issue).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 Home notified me on 12/21/2015 that Speccy was "Incompatible" with Windows 10 and that Windows was deleting the application (the "Free" version).  When I looked at the notifications available in Windows 10 it said that Speccy was incompatible with "Windows Insider".