Win 10 Threshold2 suspended till next week

Corona

• Moderators

in case it helps others (it caught me out).

to get TH2 (build 10586) you have to use the latest media creation tool.

if you use the tool released in July it will only get the build released in July (build 10240).

I wrongly assumed the media creation tool (any version) would just get the latest ISO image from the MS server - Noooo!

Also, with the latest creation tool version, you now only need to get Windows 10 when selection what OS you want, rather than Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro as you had to in the previous version.

When installing, the upgrade detects the Windows version to install from your stored Product Key.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@sbwell

What would happen if i went back to good old windows 7?

yes. if you dont like w10, go back to w7... updates up to 2020. perhaps longer. i will stay on w8.1 on my laptop...

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Lol, my above linked article has been completely rewritten because I prodded the author on Twiiter.

Well, he's no dummy.   Just like "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature", I'm sure he realizes it's not smart to tick off the Grinch this close to Christmas.  :lol:

I had two issues related to the TH2 update. The minor one was that Skype no longer worked. I thought that uninstalling/reinstalling Skype would fix the issue, but found that it was just a 50% fix: I had video but no sound. Eventually I discovered that my Skype audio settings had been re-configured to those similar to a desktop using external speakers. I have a laptop. Once I reset it to use inernal speakers, all was well.

The bigger issue, and still unresolved, is that I lost the use of my fingerprint scanner in order to login to Windows. I'm back to entering my password at system boot and the option to enter my pin number and setup Windows Hello once again has completely disappeared. No amount of fiddling on my part has worked, including uninstalling/reinstalling the driver and even setting up a new administrator account for myself.

I'm living with it for now, and very disappointed that Microsoft has once again broken something that was working fine prior to their update.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

The bigger issue, and still unresolved, is that I lost the use of my fingerprint scanner in order to login to Windows.

Open device manager find the fingerprint reader and tell windows to update driver (or go to the manufacturer's website for it) the same happened with my bluetooth radio

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Or, if @Nergal's suggestion doesn't work, try the opposite.

Remove the current driver and make Windows use it's internal driver (if it has one) for the fingerprint ID swipe.

I've had to do that to two laptops after upgrading to Windows 10 with their ELAN touchpads.  Removed the ELAN software, used Win10's own one, worked fine.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hello @ nergal and mta - I've tried letting Windows 10 install what it thinks is the correct driver for the fingerprint scanner, and I've also installed the driver that's available from HP's website manually. In both cases, the Device Manager shows the driver is installed and the scanner hardware is working correctly. The real problem is re-registering my fingerprint with Windows, because it seems to have forgotten it since the TH2 update. When I go to the "Sign in options" under my account settings, the option to enter a PIN number in order to login is still shown, but the option to register my fingerpint using "Windows Hello" has disappeared from the list. I don't know what the fix for this is, short of re-installing Windows, so for now I'm living with it.

Hello @ Corona - Submitting a blood sample and a retina scan for login would probably be easier than trying to fix this mess.  :lol: 

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields