Persistent Registry Error

Article_86

I Cant figure this one out (see attached).  - Art

(the attachment is right below this sentence)

post-74337-0-39209300-1444765637_thumb.png

"Self-deception is a process of denying or rationalizing away the relevance, significance, or importance of opposing evidence and logical argument. Self-deception involves convincing oneself of a truth (or lack of truth) so that one does not reveal any self-knowledge of the deception." - Condobloke

• Moderators

It likely belongs to your antivirus software. Most of the ones that begin with I (capital i) are.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

old similar thread found here; http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=34951&p=209077

what is your OS?

do you have the IBackup software still installed, has the location changed?

what is your issue, will it not delete?, does it come back?, have you tried to EXCLUDE it?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Uh not just similar but I gave the same answer there and the is no such product as "IBackup" it's an obfuscation technique used to protect the antivirus' deep hooks into Windows (hooks other software developers are not aloud to use). I believe the I ties into the intel folder elsewhere in the registry

Long and short of it is (as long as you are properly protected from and scanned for viruses) you can safely (99% surety) add that entry to the exclude list

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

You might try RootKitRevealer from Sysinternals, and Nirsoft’s Regscanner.exe to shed some light on the matter.

RootKitRevealer is designed to find Rootkits of course, but can also be used to find useful information from the registry, and will find things (e.g. hidden keys) not discovered by searching in Regedit.

I had a couple of uninstalled products that have left behind old registry keys that are now debris (one from an old Virus Checker). RootkitRevealer enabled me to find them. There is a very useful help file with the utility that describes the messages the utility produces. There is also a forum on the Sysinternals site that has a wealth of information. 

The scan it performs takes a while, but is very thorough. The machine can appear to lock up for periods during this time.

The Regscanner enables you to search the registry more readily for multiple occurrences of keys etc. And then open in Regedit to view the data in context.

Implied in the above are the usual about own risk, due caution, care, skill and judgement when it comes to the registry. :-)

I'm sorry for not getting back sooner. 

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions.  You're all very helpful. I'm running Win 7 Pro and using Norton 360 as my standing AV.  I run other AV/Malware scanners, but never when Norton is active.  My guess (and that's ALL it is) is that it's related to Norton Backups that I have done to a USB stick.  Originally, that stick was mapped as my E: drive.  At some point in the past an error in my OS (perhaps caused by Norton Backup)  has lost the E: drive and now it sees my stick as the F: drive.  No E: can be found anymore, and I just shrugged it off. (I know, I know - dumb).  I hope that it's not related to my Macrium Reflect image backups that I keep on the same stick ... I may find that out the hard way.  So I am going to look into that as well.  I have deleted it with CC many times and saw no 'apparent' damage.  The error would just return = persistent.  I'll try the suggestion from bartholomewking because I LOVE letting utilities making the problem worse.  lol  Going to look at that link too.  Thanks again!  - Art

BTW - It seems that the Like function is 'borked'.  I've never used it before but it responds with "An error occurred: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day".  You guys should squak because you're 'not getting your due'.

"Self-deception is a process of denying or rationalizing away the relevance, significance, or importance of opposing evidence and logical argument. Self-deception involves convincing oneself of a truth (or lack of truth) so that one does not reveal any self-knowledge of the deception." - Condobloke

• Moderators

the Like This button has never been 'turned on' by the forum Admins.

rumor has it because it may incite favouritism, or competitiveness, or be abused, or some such thing.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Well, all I can say is: 'whatever'.  I can't believe I said that.  One of the words I've grown to hate.  That, and "issue" ... annoyingly overused.  - Art

trader-joes.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=770%2C32

• Moderators

lost the E: drive and now it sees my stick as the F: drive.  No E: can be found anymore, and I just shrugged it off.

That can happen if you plug a USB drive into a different USB port.

When I run into that wishing for it to be mapped to a particular drive letter (because I use batch files that point to a particular drive letter) I always manually change it using the freeware Nirsoft DriveLetterView.

That can happen if you plug a USB drive into a different USB port.

When I run into that wishing for it to be mapped to a particular drive letter (because I use batch files that point to a particular drive letter) I always manually change it using the freeware Nirsoft DriveLetterView.

Hi Andavari -

I like Nirsoft, that dude makes some good stuff!  I'll check it out.  But, I discovered what was going on .. just didn't have time to post back right away.  Apparently my W7 Pro OS assigned (and remembers) that I used that USB2 port with a Pony Drive that I originally used (assigned E:) long before the 65 GB drive (assigned F:) I've recently been using for backups.  I just had a hunch, and it turned out to be the case.  I'll go get that Utility anyway.  Thank you very much.  - Art

This thread may be closed.