Can't delete duplicate files

gerardr

Hello

CCLeaner finds duplicated files it works fine. But it does not delete any marked file.

Steps to reproduce:

1. find duplicates

2. mark some files to delete

3. Cllck "Delete selected" and confirm deletion

After that CCleaner says : "The operation has been completed. Some of the selected files were not deleted" and all of the selected files are in filesystem.

It doesn't matter if I run CCleaner as Administrator.

I have UAC turned off.

CCleaner 5.10.5373 64Bit, Windows 7 64Bit PL

Cound you help ?

BR

Gerard

• Moderators

so you know the filename and folder location of these duplicates, what happens if you go to one and manually try to delete it from Windows Explorer, or even a command prompt?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 years later...

I have this exact same problem.   CCleaner doesnt delete any of the duplicates, but if I go to the folders and delete them individually they delete fine.   also it would be nice if there were filters so a large number could be deleted at once, because I have many thousands of duplicates.

• 4 months later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hey guys, thanks for reporting.

Please can you provide some examples of the filenames and corresponding file paths where this is happening?

• Moderators

and the folders they lived in were...?

I too am having similar issues. I can delete them fine from Windows Explorer without a problem, I have checked the File Name and Path and there are no unusual characters, its not too long or anything like that. Tried renaming files and folder, but this did not solve, even moved them to a different physical disk but no luck.

On 20/02/2018 at 10:40, Stephen Piriform said:

Hey guys, thanks for reporting.

Please can you provide some examples of the filenames and corresponding file paths where this is happening?

Here are some from me, I have a whole text file with several hundred. If you want it I can PM you. - This is from the Export option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CakePHP Application Development.pdf	D:\My eBooks\Computer Programming	7.96 MB	15/11/2017 21:56:45
CakePHP Application Development.pdf	D:\My eBooks\Computers\eBooks (IT Various)	7.96 MB	26/01/2018 20:35:51
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
clojure_programming.pdf	D:\My eBooks\Computer Programming	11.5 MB	15/11/2017 21:57:50
clojure_programming.pdf	D:\My eBooks\Computers\eBooks (IT Various)	11.5 MB	26/01/2018 22:02:30
cmmi_for_development_3rd_edition.pdf	D:\My eBooks\Computer Programming	4.01 MB	15/11/2017 21:58:02
cmmi_for_development_3rd_edition.pdf	D:\My eBooks\Computers\eBooks (IT Various)	4.01 MB	26/01/2018 22:02:35

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Is your D: drive an SSD?

Do you have the 'Secure Deletion setting enabled in Options > Settings?

3 minutes ago, timethrow said:

Here are some from me, I have a whole text file with several hundred. If you want it I can PM you. - This is from the Export option.

36 minutes ago, Stephen Piriform said:

Is your D: drive an SSD?

Do you have the 'Secure Deletion setting enabled in Options > Settings?

Nope its not an SSD, Yes its is enabled and is set to Complex Overwrite (7 Passes), the other two checkboxes are not selected.

EDIT: Also tried turning it off and using the standard one, that did not work. (Just in case).

• Moderators

Is there any anti-virus/anti-malware that's been configured to pro-actively protect those folder locations? Remember Windows 10 added the feature to protect certain folders, and some other anti-virus/anti-malware tools also have that ability if configured to do so.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 10/19/2017 at 01:18, rmundell said:

also it would be nice if there were filters so a large number could be deleted at once, because I have many thousands of duplicates.

There's a thread for that!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators

haven't even heard back from the OP.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone. I searched all over for an answer to this problem I too encountered and found an answer that worked here: 

The short is, the folder and contents can't be compressed with windows. To find out open the properties menu with Right click > Properties and find the option on either the Properties > General tab or by clicking Advanced button found at the bottom of the General tab.

Make sure these are unchecked to successfully delete duplicates with ccleaner:

• [   ]  Compress this drive to save disk space (When viewing drive properties)
  • [   ]  Compress contents to save disk space (When viewing folder or file properties) 

Cheers!

Edited by cameeeeeron