v5.10.5373 slow to launch

nukecad

• Moderators

The only reason you don't see the delay is because you're adding it into your startup time. My startup time increased 15 - 20 seconds waiting for CCleaner to start monitoring. So, if you're not waiting for your computer to start up, then it basically does the initialization of the program automatically and you don't notice it. But, the delay is still there.

Hmm, not with my laptop.

Boot time from pressing the power button to desktop is still the same at around 12 to 15 secs, including the time it take me to type my password.

(Makes no difference if CC active monitoring is on or off).

Yes of course the CC initial startup delay is still there, I still see it if I turn off the active monitoring.

But with AM on once I'm at the desktop I can launch a browser (or whatever) straight away without stopping CC running in the background.

So when I do come to open CC it comes up straight away.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Thus, the bug is not due to CPU loading and may be due to some timeout or waiting.

I think that we have established that this issue is mainly to do with the User Account Control (SKIPUAC setting).

Which may be why you are getting different results with an Admin account and a User account. (and that is an interesting pointer to the problem in itself).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This is an odd one which may or may not be related to this. Read the rest and judge for yourselves.

Yesterday I noticed that there was a Gold coloured padlock in the system tray after booting.
Usually a gold padlock on an icon is a permission issue, but on its own in the system tray?

No hover help with the tray icon, left or right click and the padlock dissapeared.

And Then -
Right click on a file in file explorer and it freezes with the little blue 'busy' cirle.
Windows Updates will not connect, either automatically or if you try update manually.
(Windows 10 so it should do it itself).

I have spent a number (lots) of hours trying to track down what this crap is.

What I seem to have found, and what has sorted it for me, is that the upgrade to Firefox 42 has somehow clashed with CC active monitoring.

My solution (what has worked for me)
Turn off CC active monitoring, reboot, turn CC active monitoring back on and all is well again.

I reckon that this is a Firefox isue not  a CCleaner one, but as long as we get things working again thats al that counts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well I was hoping for a resolution to this with the release of v5.12.54.31.

Especially as the change log says-

"- Improved Skip UAC on Windows 10."

But still 15 secs for the initial launch, and first launch after a (automatic) Windows Defender definition update.

Oh well, the 'active monitoring' workaround is still working for the initial launch, (but not after a Defender definition update).

• 2 weeks later...

CCleaner Version 5.12.5431 64 bit.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit with ALL updates as of 12/10/15.

When "Skip User Account Control Warning" is checked it sometimes takes 9 seconds for the CCleaner screen to appear.

Sometimes it fires up instantly though.

I finally just gave up and created a stored procedure to run CCleaner on demand (using an icon to launch the stored procedure).

I think you have to check the box in Options, Advanced to "save all settings to INI file" first though.

Proceed at your own risk!

Create a stored procedure (scheduled task) called CCleaner (or whatever you want to call it).
Shortcut to task scheduler in Windows 10 is:   Taskschd.msc
   Actions --->  start a program  pointing to:
     "c:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner64.exe" /auto
    Run with highest privileges

The Icon looks like this: 
C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn ccleaner
I have it set to run minimized too

i have with no uacskip and it need 4-5 sec to start... good on my w8.1 :-)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same bug with CCleaner v5.13.5460 on the admin accounts of my x64 Win8.1 PCs.  The CCleaner taskbar icon persists for 30 seconds after restart or cold boot.

I have my firewall configured to block CCleaner's internet access (in addition to unchecking the "Automatically check for updates to CCleaner").  I wonder if CCleaner waiting for some internet access before a time-out.

• Moderators

SOLUTION to this delayed launch problem.

A reply made to some old posts regarding a solution to IE freezing and a tweak to MSE, gave me a thought about this problem.

To recap-

• The problem with this delayed initial launch seems to be with Admin accounts only.
  • It happens after a cold boot, or after an update to Windows Defender Definitions.

Which has led me to suspect for a while that it was something in Defender Definitions since September that was causing the problem.

But I hadn't made the leap to the solution.

Make the CCleaner folder an exception in Windows Defender.
(or in MSE if you have Win7 or Vista)

Open Defender > settings > scroll down to 'Add an exclusion' > Exclude a folder > browse to the CCleaner folder (usually in C:/Programme files/) and exclude it.

Problem solved.

I have tested this from cold boot, both with and without the exception, and confirm it works with the exception in place.
I have only been able to test it once with the Defender Definition Update and the exception in place, and it worked, (need to wait for the next update to see again).

EDIT 27 DEC.

Windows Defender just did another definitions update; after the update I launched CC and it came up instantly with no delay.

PS.

I suspect that this exclusion may also stop the problem off CC getting removed on Windows 10 Cumulative updates.

But TBH I have not had this happen to me (yet) so would have no way to test it.

• Moderators

@nukecad - thanks for posting the solution that worked for you.  Hope it helps many other CCleaner users.

It didn't help me because I have Windows Defender turned off (not monitoring my computer).

It could be that yours is a similar but different issue then?

The one I (and others) have been having is not with the internet, but with the user account control when using an Admin account.

(I had checked this by disconnecting and connecting to the internet whilst investigating and it made no difference).

I would still try making CC an exception in whatever AV/firewall you are using to see if it cures your delay problem.

• Moderators

Make the CCleaner folder an exception in Windows Defender.

(or in MSE if you have Win7 or Vista)

That's been a problem with Windows Defender ("Microsoft Security Essentials") for a long time, it can cause some software to start very slow. But some other antivirus can also cause it; Avira Free Antivirus, Panda Free Antivirus, etc.

Edited by Andavari

It could be that yours is a similar but different issue then?

The one I (and others) have been having is not with the internet, but with the user account control when using an Admin account.

(I had checked this by disconnecting and connecting to the internet whilst investigating and it made no difference).

I would still try making CC an exception in whatever AV/firewall you are using to see if it cures your delay problem

??

• 3 weeks later...

What is the issue with the delayed start?  Why doesn't the DEV's even address this?  How long do we need to keep this thread going for it to get some attention?

Why can't we get some help here?

• Moderators

What is the issue with the delayed start?  Why doesn't the DEV's even address this?  How long do we need to keep this thread going for it to get some attention?

Why can't we get some help here?

I'm the OP of this thread and have since found and shared a couple of workarounds, and a working solution in post #62.

Since making CCleaner an exception in my AntiVirus (Windows Defender) I have had no problem with the delayed launching of CCleaner.

See also Andavari's comment in post #65.

Have you tried making CCleaner an exception in whatever AntiVirus you are using?

(Obviously the Piriform Devs can't make changes to your AV, you have to do it yourself).

• Moderators

To minimize program opening delays as much as possible when I used Panda Free Antivirus I changed a configurable delay setting in it to the absolute minimum which was 10 seconds (can't remember what it is exactly but it's nestled in the settings), since it would commonly cause some programs to take a very long time to open. I wonder if antivirus with cloud scanning capabilities (and most have that ability now) could adversely effect users if the cloud server was slow, or down.

To minimize program opening delays as much as possible when I used Panda Free Antivirus I changed a configurable delay setting in it to the absolute minimum which was 10 seconds (can't remember what it is exactly but it's nestled in the settings), since it would commonly cause some programs to take a very long time to open. I wonder if antivirus with cloud scanning capabilities (and most have that ability now) could adversely effect users if the cloud server was slow, or down.

This has not solved the problem for me.  Still have the same issue.  My windows 10 notebook I just got does the same thing.  As my desktop.  I also have a win7 computer (older Dell) and it doesn't have the issue. What is going on with this???

I'm the OP of this thread and have since found and shared a couple of workarounds, and a working solution in post #62.

Since making CCleaner an exception in my AntiVirus (Windows Defender) I have had no problem with the delayed launching of CCleaner.

See also Andavari's comment in post #65.

Have you tried making CCleaner an exception in whatever AntiVirus you are using?

(Obviously the Piriform Devs can't make changes to your AV, you have to do it yourself).

Neither of what you suggested made any difference. Same problem.  Glad it worked for you though. This is really annoying.

• 1 month later...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

HP Pavilion desktop

Intel® Core™ i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Microsoft Security Essentials

CCleaner 5.15.5513 (64 bit)

SKIPUAC – yes

Default browser is IE 11, but I actually use Chrome

Automatic check for updates – yes

Auto run at start up or shut down – no

Monitoring turned on – no, I have free edition

Hooray.  Most recent update 5.15.5513 (64bit) has CCleaner back to normal.  No delay at opening.  Pops right up.

• Moderators

Monitoring turned on – no, I have free edition

Yes you can,see the image in post #64

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=44723&p=268018

You just can't use all the options.

Nice to hear that the update seems to have sorted the problem for you.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

The slow first-time-of-the-day launch problem has returned. - Fortunately it's easily solved.

To recap the problem
CCleaner takes 12 to 15 seconds for the first launch of the day, subsequent launches are almost instantaneous.

I'm blaming Microsoft again.

It seems the the Fall Creators Update to Win 10 v1709 has removed any exclusions that you had in Windows Defender.
OK, they have made some big changes to the Security Centre, but surely they should have left your exclusions in place?

(Or have they removed the exclusion deliberately following the infection? If so they should still have given a warning first).

Adding "C:\Program Files\CCleaner" as an exclusion in Defender cures the slow launch again.

It's slightly different adding an exclusion in the new Security Centre than it was in the old Defender:
Open the Security Centre and go to- Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Add or remove exclusions > +Add an exclusion > Folder
Browse to "C:\Program Files" (it's probably already opened there), click on "CCleaner", and click 'Select Folder'.