CCleaner not showing system restore points

Bradforth

• Moderators

"Latest" tells us nothing. Please tell us the version number of the ccleaner you use

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Pete,

Just curious, any reason why you had WMI disabled?

And instead of having it always enabled, try setting it to Manual, that way it'll only get started when/if needed.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

WMI = Windows Management Instrumentation.

It's supposed to be set to Automatic, and start with Windows. I.e.; Always running.

Edit:

Description from XP:

Provides a common interface and object model to access management information about operating system, devices, applications and services. If this service is stopped, most Windows-based software will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

• Moderators

I've always had mine set to Manual.

It's one of the services Norton Utilities (and Registry Mechanic before that) 'optimises'.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

i have it as mta

http://www.windows-tweaks.info/xp-vista/windows-xp-alle-unnoetigen-windows-dienste-abschalten/

"Only useful for system administrators with WMI monitoring tools."

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

standard-type of wmi-service in xpsp3 is manually

in w8.1 too, i think also in w7

(i think, this service was not the problem on bradforths problem...)

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Hi all,

I decided to disable WMI because I kept getting Windows freezing on the desktop and in Windows Explorer, when I looked in Windows Error logs it always showed this as an error, at the moment apart from Ccleaner nothing else appears to affected but I will let you know if I notice any other problems.

Since I have disabled this service the freezing appears to have been corrected and is no longer a problem, I think I will take the advice of one of the forum members and set it to manual and see how this goes.

I also have the Steam/DTG game TS 2015 installed and I have noticed a slight improvement in performance with WMI disabled.

I would appreciate any further comments to my findings of this problem.

Regards,

Pete.

• Moderators

Something you could bear in mind is using Windows Repair from Tweaking.com (the developer is a member here)

There is a tickbox for the repair of WMI which sounds like it may be corrupted in your case. You only need to select this box if thats all you need to fix.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello, I am having a similar problem.

CCleaner v.5.10.5373

Windows XP SP3 ( all the latest updates )

WMI is running, and starts automatically.

there were no errors in event viewer.

(subsequently cleaned by CCleaner)

I've only just noticed this problem. I generally remove older restore points using CCleaner every month before I do a defrag [with competition product].

This time CCleaner reports no restore points.

Accessories->system restore reports 12 restore points going back to the eighth day of this month (Sept 2015, today is Sept 29)

I ran CCleaner /debug, and here is an extract of the log produced:

[12:50:25::015][DEBUG] System Restore - Starting items enumeration...

[12:50:25::062][DEBUG] System Restore - Finished item enumeration

[12:50:29::421][iNFO ] Closing application...

[12:50:29::468][DEBUG] System Restore - Requesting to stop items enumeration...

[12:50:29::468][DEBUG] System Restore - Items Enumeration stopped

[12:50:29::468][iNFO ] Finished closing application

[12:50:29::468][iNFO ] Application Ended

Closed and re-started CCleaner a few times, same on each occasion.

Any thoughts or help would be most appreicated.

Regards.

hello bartholomewking :)

i tried it on my newly installed xpsp3 with all systemupdates (not security updates). i dont have your issue... by me it works fine.

be8402-1443614485.jpg

hello bartholomewking :)

i tried it on my newly installed xpsp3 with all systemupdates (not security updates). i dont have your issue... by me it works fine.

be8402-1443614485.jpg

Thank you Trium.

Tried again today. Again no restore points. Odd, it has only just started happening. Not entirely sure when. Certainly in the last three weeks.

I think I'll  uninstall / re-install CCleaner see what happens. You never know!

OK, well I uninstalled CCleaner (made a note of the settings), checked the filesystem for any remnants did a registry check with Auslogics Registry Cleaner.

Then I re-installed CCleaner.

The problem persists.

I searched the Registry to see if there was anything obvious, but I didn't find anything that stood out.

I've uninstalled CCleaner, as above again and installed version 5.09 to see if this exhibited the problem. It does.

Back now to 5.10.

Maybe there is something on my machine, but I have checked my records and cannot find any updates or contentious items that may have made such a change.

I turned off the virus checker (f-secure safe), I turned off winpatrol. The only update I have done is Java runtime and SDK to 1.08. I don't think CCleaner uses java, even though speccy does.

OK I surrender. I might try some process traces when I get time to see what is going on. Hmmmm.....

• Moderators
I've uninstalled CCleaner, as above again and installed version 5.09 to see if this exhibited the problem. It does.

Back now to 5.10.

Maybe there is something on my machine, but I have checked my records and cannot find any updates or contentious items that may have made such a change.

I turned off the virus checker (f-secure safe), I turned off winpatrol. The only update I have done is Java runtime and SDK to 1.08. I don't think CCleaner uses java, even though speccy does.

OK I surrender. I might try some process traces when I get time to see what is going on. Hmmmm.....

Did you try the fix for WMI that hazelnut pointed to in reply 13

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I generally remove older restore points using CCleaner every month before I do a defrag [with competition product]. This time CCleaner reports no restore points.

1)... have you tried windows defragmenter? perhaps can this solve your problem

2)... have you tried "ccleaner portable"?

Hello again all, and thank you for the advice so far.

To follow up, I have tried Nergal, Hazelnut and Trium's suggestions.

I have downloaded the portable tweaking.com program and run 01) Reset Registry Permissions, 02) Reset File Permissions, 05) Repair WMI and 33)Repair Performance Counters.

The above were performed while in safe mode after a registry backup and system restore point taken beforehand.

Complements to the software author. It looks to be a very useful utility. ( I also like the fact that it is a portable program).

CCleaner v5.10.5373 reports no system restore points.

CCleaner Portable v5.10.53.73 reports no system restore points.

System Restore reports that there are 20 (twenty) system restore points.

There are no ERRORS in the event viewer.

I have run both the installed and the portable versions of the CCleaner program with the /debug flag. The pertainent parts of the log do not differ from those indicated in my previous post.

I have NOT tried to restore one of the restore points that System Restore reports, although I have done this many times in the past with no problems. (I don't particularly want to do this right now for obvious reasons, everything else seems to be working fine)

I would be interested in why Trium suggests trying the Windows defragmenter, that is what difference would be expected? As far as I know the [competition] defragmenter uses the Windows API, and I have been using it for some years now without problem, including the currently installed version.

Once again, thankyou in anticipation of any replies, and any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kindest Regards.

• Moderators

Hi, please don't mention software by name that directly competes with piriform software, it makes my job harder.

:)