Converted to Outpost Pro!

Ultimate Predator

You're now the third one I know whom has converted. :)

You're kidding aren't you. I'm one the guys who got interested in OP, and you guided me.

Are you telling me I'm just one of the 3 persons who converted to OP.I'm truly surprised.

I find OP a great software fw. In my experience it is much more better then ZA( which I've used ).

I initially had some hiccups with OP, then I found out, that it was due to software conflict with

my anti virus( I was using Avast, at that time ). Altho Avast was good but I liked OP , so switched my av

to Kaspersky,which my nephew passed it to me.......it has been a smooth sail ever since.

I'm no expert in firewalls, but with my Kaspersky,Ewido,CWshredder,MSAS,Spyware Blaster,AdAware SE, Spybot,CCleaner and D-Link router and several more progs, I think I'm pretty much protected.

All this I learned from here. Thanks to Tarun, DJLizard, Lee16 , Twisted, Andavari and many more "senior" guys over here.

I don't come here so often nowadays, but I try to pop in once in a while.

Hope many more will test out OP

Cheers

I was hoping to switch to outpost pro a few weeks back, i completely uninstalled ZA and installed outpost pro. Everything went smooth apart from the 3 blue screens i had in the first day, this followed for a few more days until i got rid of it.

They did have a few issues with bluescreens a while back that was related to a problem witha *.dll from WinRAR. They fixed it though. They pay close attention to bug reports and fix them quickly. You may want to do a clean install of the firewall by removing anything Agnitum from your registry.

You're kidding aren't you. I'm one the guys who got interested in OP, and you guided me.

Are you telling me I'm just one of the 3 persons who converted to OP.I'm truly surprised.

Okay I'm busted! It's been more than 3, I lost count. ;D

They did have a few issues with bluescreens a while back that was related to a problem witha *.dll from WinRAR. They fixed it though. They pay close attention to bug reports and fix them quickly. You may want to do a clean install of the firewall by removing anything Agnitum from your registry.

Someone on the outpost forums gave me some links which describe how to complete remove zonealarm and do a clean install of Outpost. I did both but still the same problem, i think next time i create a new nlite setup ill have to install outpost from then and see if helps.

While i did have the blue screens multiple times, i was able to use outpost enough to realize it is way better then zonealarm, i like the plug ins but i also like the fact i can either stop them or just remove them. I hope i can get it working without the blue screens :rolleyes: .

If you ask me, no software firewall can be a rule based firewall. Rule based firewalls, LNS, Kero 2.5, etc., are just plain better. They allow the experienced more control over what happening with their system. Others, ZA, Outpost, etc., tend to be more of a cookie-cutter firewall where one size fits all. Althought these firewall tend to be easier for the average user to use, which is why people use them. If Symantec has taught us anything don't just assume that just because I company has a better marketing department that it is a better product. Norton IS NOT the best product and yrt is is the best seller.

• Moderators

If you ask me, no software firewall can be a rule based firewall. Rule based firewalls, LNS, Kero 2.5, etc., are just plain better. They allow the experienced more control over what happening with their system. Others, ZA, Outpost, etc., tend to be more of a cookie-cutter firewall where one size fits all. Althought these firewall tend to be easier for the average user to use, which is why people use them.

Too true.

However I was one of the experienced users that got sick and tired of rule based firewalls, there's so many chances to make input errors or completely miss an important rule altogether.

Whatsmore those "cookie-cutter" firewalls that really have no configuration ("high, low, medium, off") at least have everything factory preset so there less of a chance of missing a necessary port number to block (###) which could let trojan (???) infiltrate the system.

I did like Sygate PF until it acted and just stopped working on my two sytems because it was more or less a set it and forget it type of software-based firewall that also had the capabilities of using rulesets.

It's almost unimaginable that I've went from highly configurable rules settable fw's in this exact order Tiny PF->Kerio PF->Sygate PF-> to none rules settable fw's ZoneAlarm->Windows Firewall.

There are other things to consider. Rule-based firewalls tend to use less resources, in every sense of the word, that "gui based."

That being said, I use LNS and have never had to fiddle with my ruleset after I initially tweaked Phanton's v6.

LNS is also cheaper and does not require yearly subscriptions, as does Outpost PRO and ZA. Once it's your, it's yours