Crashes Windows 10 when cleaning

There may be more than one cause for this problem but I discovered what was happening in my situation and thought I'd pass it along in case it might help someone.

When I would tell Ccleaner to analyze, Windows would throw the low memory error message and either the computer would lockup, restart or maybe just Ccleaner would close. I tried adjusting the page file size and even adding more RAM but that didn't help.

So I started to watch the progress bar when Ccleaner was analyzing and noticed the crash came when it was trying to read the contents of the recycle bin. I also had Task Manager opened at the same time and noticed that when Ccleaner got to the recycle bin check the memory use skyrocketed up to almost !00% and then came the crash.

I checked the recycle bin and discovered it contained over 4000 items. I manually emptied the recycle bin and  then reran Ccleaner without a hitch. Problem solved.

Apparently, when the recycle bin is too full this can happen.

• Moderators

Thanks @trents for signing up and giving your feedback.

I'm sure it will help others and at least go onto the list of things to try when troubleshooting.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 7 months later...

Ok. I am now now also having this issue. I own the professional version of the software

Chip: Intel I7 chipset

Windows: Windows 10 64 bit upgraded from windows 7 pro 64 bit

Ccleaner version: Original 5.19 professional upgraded to latest version 5.21 professional.

I originally had 5.19 installed. All worked ok. All cleans completed without crashing

Upgraded to the latest version 5.21. Now on running 'clean', it will scan for a few items and then suddenly ccleaner will crash, usually around the windows logs entry or one of the system database entry even with the very basic settings

Tried a number of times and always the same result. Would crash

Fully uninstalled (using iobit uninstall software) and reinstalled version 5.19

Run 5.19 clean. All ok. Absolutely no crashes at all.

There is issues with version 5.21

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

which issue?

this thread is getting a bit polluted with kling-ons. :)

• 7 months later...

Here are my empirical results:

Windows 10 Pro 1703 x64

32GB RAM

With all options cleared and only Cleaner > Windows > Empty Recycle Bin checked, clicking Analyze causes runaway memory consumption. Within seconds, all 32 GB is allocated to CCleaner.

If I allow the process to continue, the screen eventually blanks and the computer becomes unresponsive. The only way to recover is to forcibly power off the computer and restart it.

Following the instructions to clean a corrupted recycle bin (Corrupted recycle bin fix for Vista, Win 7,  Win 8 and Win 10, helpfully posted by hazelnut), the cleanup process takes 20 or 30 seconds.

After that, CCleaner runs with no issues.

• 6 months later...

It is to do with new Windows Patches, Piriform has not prepared for.

As soon as I remove Edge and Internet Explorer from the cleaning, it works, i.e. CCleaner does not crash and cleans Chrome and Opera.

I am using pro 5.39.6399 ( 64 bit ).

So it has to do with a new protocol in Windows.

If I debug using Visual Studio it says it cannot find :

C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll

So Piriform has obviously used this dll in the past, Microsoft got rid of it ( who knows why ) and Piriform has been caught unawares.

Please sort this out Piriform, as it is pretty useless for your product to work on only some browsers...especially as a paying customer.

Thank you.,

• Moderators

@mithras123, you have a different issue to this topic, which is addressing  Windows 10 crashing when CC is run.  (although it's rather polluted now with other contributors)

if you could start you own thread, you'll get targeted responses to your specific issue.
and include extra info like, OS and CC versions, and describe the crash.

• 2 years later...

Same to me...received the prompt to download the last version of CC and after did it the PC kept freezing up, after many diagnostics through safe mode mainly I could conclude that it was the CC running on the background. After uninstall everything came back to normal; but I would really like to solve the issue since the tool is very handy... Thanks