Windows 10, Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!

• 2 months later...

I opened Process Explorer to see what was happening when I opened and closed my browser (Internet Explorer 11).  It looks like Edge continues to run in the background through multiple dll's. I opened CCleaner and placed the two windows side by side. Through PE I killed the process 'dllhost.exe' and immediately ran the cleaner. I didn't get the usual 'Internet Explorer and Edge need to be closed' notice and there was no indication that Edge files were skipped.

Because you have to act quickly (the dll host will restart immediately after you stop it) you might try using a .bat file? I don't know if this is exactly right, but close:

@echo off
taskkill /f /im dllhost.exe
start "" "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I opened Process Explorer to see what was happening when I opened and closed my browser (Internet Explorer 11).  It looks like Edge continues to run in the background through multiple dll's. I opened CCleaner and placed the two windows side by side. Through PE I killed the process 'dllhost.exe' and immediately ran the cleaner. I didn't get the usual 'Internet Explorer and Edge need to be closed' notice and there was no indication that Edge files were skipped.

Because you have to act quickly (the dll host will restart immediately after you stop it) you might try using a .bat file? I don't know if this is exactly right, but close:

@echo off

taskkill /f /im dllhost.exe

start "" "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO

Hope this helps.

You are correct once dllhost.exe aka Com surrogate is ended  CCleaner can clear EDGE, any eta when CCleaner will do this for us instead of us have to do it manually? I was wonder why there is always 1 instance of that running now i know why

• 4 weeks later...

What worked for me on Win 10 is to go to Internet Options -- either via Control Panel or Cortana, and delete browsing history and temporary files, remember  to tick "delete browsing history on exit" under Browsing history.  Then run CCleaner and Edge will be cleared without skipping any files. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm not sure if this is still an active issue/thread, but I just upgraded to Windows 10 and found this thread via a google search. I was able to change this behavior (I think) with a setting change and a reboot.

Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps and Turn Microsoft Edge off and reboot. I did so and now CCleaner removes temp files that Edge uses, and kills the running process that CCleaner doesn't stop and thus, skips.

Sorry if this has been fixed already.

• 7 months later...

The solution is pretty easy. CCleaner thinks your browser is still open.

Open CCleaner and run it.

After it finishes and you see the skipped items....

Click on Options

Click on Cookies

It will tell you something is open and do you want to force a close?

Say yes

Go back and run the cleaner again and it wont skip it

:)