Trying to recover deleted image from camera/memory card

Littleimp

I'm using the free version of Recuva and it's not recognizing my camera drive. I can see the camera/images using windows explorer (camera attached via USB ) and I can open images into Windows Photo Viewer. I deleted the image while I was viewing the camera drive using explorer.

Do I need to "format" the memory card so that Recuva can see it so that I can try and recover the deleted file?

Help please - thank you very much.

recover deleted file.pdf

• Moderators

Your camera mounts, not as a drive, but as a Photo Transfer Device using PTP (Photo Transfer Protocol). Windows does not assign drive letters to this type of device. Recuva, and most other (non-specialized) recovery software, require a drive letter to perform their functions.

As you have a memory card in the camera you can take the card out and place it in a reader and recover it that way; if you don't have a reader in your pc (or printer) you can usually find one (usb connectable) at most stores (such as Walgreens and many grocery stores) for less then 20$US that reads a variety of size/styles of memory cards (SD is the most common card type but there are a number of other types).

FOR GENERAL PUBLIC:

As this is a common issue I've pinned this topic to the top of this board. MP3 music players, and mobile phones, act the same way. They use a similar service to connect to Windows computers: Media Transfer Protocol (MTP)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hi - I'm familiar with the usb reader and I have one and have tried my Canon memory card in it and the "PTP" does not show up on Explorer.  I have another camera (Pentax) with a memory card and that card works great in the reader.  The one that I'm trying to recover the file on is the one I'm having issues with.  The light on the reader shows steady green and when I put the other camera's card in the reader it blinks green and it does show up as a SD, drive (e) in Explorer .  So I know my reader is working properly, it's the memory card that's not.  Should I format the "card" - my Canon has an option for a low-level format but it does indicate that all the data will be deleted?

• Moderators

Should I format the "card" - my Canon has an option for a low-level format but it does indicate that all the data will be deleted?
Well, that is no good. The card may have gone bad :unsure: . Formatting is a last resort action, however it sounds as though you are indeed (in my educated opinion) at the last resort

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Uh, have you been using the card? This would make your chances of recovery near nil, even if we were able to get it to mount on Windows

• Moderators

Which brings us back to the formatting idea...

If you run disk management (type it into your start menu search or right click on "my pc" and choose manage then choose disk management from the left pane) with the card, that lost the images, in the reader. does it show the disk?

Also what windows version, as it'll help me/us provife more specific troubleshooting

• Moderators

Explorer sees the card in the reader? I thought you said it didn't, isn't that what we are trying to do here, in order that recuva can see the card it must, in the reader, show as a drive in explorer

• Moderators

No not camera//card. Card from camera in reader. Remember if it is in the camera, it is in PTP mode when you see it there.

Is the icon a little camera like the lower one shown in this image. Or does it show as the upper camera icon and shoe a letter in parenthesis? Example:

(F:)

screen01.jpg

If it is the lower that is PTP.

You need to put the card in the reader not the camera.

The card is in the reader.  I've been doing this "operation" on several different cameras over the years so I know what to do and how to do it - i.e. get the pictures from the reader to my pc.  I can't seem to be able to post screen shots of what I see right this minute using Explorer and almost my Recuva screen.  

I'm using Chrome and I had to download something to enable copy/paste from Windows - I'll shut down and retry

Can't cut and paste screen shot of what I see in EXPLORER - so I'll have to painstakingly enter it manually

-Computer

+ OS C

-Canon PowerShot SX 210 IS

-Removable storage

- DCIM

lists directions i.e. +104_____10

+MISC

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I'm still waiting on you to remove the card fro. The camera and place it in the reader. Your previous post proves to me that it is still in the camera.

Also I and other moderators are just users like you, we've no more answers than you do. I'm attempting to provide aid but can only do so much suggesting.

• Moderators

So it shows as removable disc E, now you should be able to run recuva on it.

• Moderators

Can you open the drive from windows explorer?

• Moderators

Does the reader give a drive letter when there is no card in the slot. Are you sure that when you are looking at the camera, in explorer, that you are looking at the card and not the internal camera memory?

In Explorer when reader in slot with no card - reads the same as when memory card is in reader - Removable Drive (E:)

In Explorer when camera is attached to slot, turned on with NO memory card in it - camera shows up as Portable Device (1) and camera indicates "no memory card".

So I do know that I'm looking at the images on the memory card - not the camera's internal memory.

Result:  personal computer will only read the memory card when it is in the camera - but Recuva does NOT see the camera - just verified all this again and this is the status that I reported originally.  

Next step??

• Moderators

As I stated above, I'm at the end of my suggestions, and think a format maybe your only recourse, problem is that with flash memory a format may cause the file not to be recoverable :-/ maybe someone else has some suggestions, but I can't think of anything else. also this was the first time you were clear that you were following what I said about recuva (and most/all similar non-specialized software)not being capable of interfacing with cameras).

The card sounds like either it is formatted in a non-standard way (usually it should be formatted as Fat32, exFat or NTFS) which causes windows to be unable to mount it; or that the. Card has gone bad.