How to recover file deleted via network drive

DarrellDoesData

I have a network drive (T) which points to a folder on my C-drive. I accidently deleted an Access database (.accdb) from the T-drive. I was shocked to discover that the file was not in my recycle bin. A friend recommended Recuva and I tried it within a few minutes after the file was deleted. I did an all-files scan limited to the folder on C where that file was. Recuva scanned over 500K files, but nothing appeared in the recovery window. So I tried a deep scan, which took over 2 hours. The deep scan found 295 files in that folder but none newer that 2 weeks ago.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

• Moderators

Some background info;

what version of Windows?

how is the T:\ drive formatted?

do you have a global setting for the recycle bin?

how was T:\ drive mapped to the C:\ drive folder?

did you delete the database then go online and download Recuva?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

what version of Windows? Windows7 sp1

how is the T:\ drive formatted? It's just mapped to a folder on my c drive

do you have a global setting for the recycle bin? Don't know how to do that.

how was T:\ drive mapped to the C:\ drive folder? Thru "map network drive": Set drive T = \\W520\c\Arts

did you delete the database then go online and download Recuva? I took my laptop to an IT guy who uses Recuva

• Moderators

Recuva, and most other recovery software, can't recover from network drives. They must be physically attached drive that windows disk manager has assigned a letter to. Mounting a drive to a folder (or mounting a folder as a drive letter) is not enough to allow the software(s) to access it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

with lack of definitive info, it sounds like the file was deleted, then the laptop went online, did some browsing, and eventually you downloaded and installed Recuva.

if true, the OS would have been accessing the newly available space made by the accidental deletion to save your browsing and download data onto.

which would make recovery all that much harder (like it wasn't a black magic art form to begin with :))

it sounds like you can access the C:\ location that T:\ was mapped to but have no results.

that may be due to the drive being accessed after the deletion or something to do with how T:\ drive was setup or used.

when you say T:\ is a network drive, you aren't talking about it being a physical external unit are you?

that is what I naturally assumed.  if all you did was map network drive and set T as the drive letter for \\w520\c\arts then it's not a network drive (per say), you've just assigned a drive letter to one of your folders.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.