CCleaner Possibly Interfering with MS Security Essentials?

HiGee

Hello. I've been using CCleaner for about a year. For the past couple of days I have been having problems with MS Security Essentials insisting that my system is potentially unprotected, even immediately after I run a scan. Some research has indicated that CCleaner may need to be adjusted to accomodate MS-SE. I've seen a suggestion that I configure CCleaner not to clean up files relating to MS Malware by checking the appropriate box in the settings, but there is no box to check for MS Malware.

So -- who has a suggestion on how to solve this problem? Thanks so much.

• Moderators

Because of the * behind ms antimalware I know this is a winapp2 entry. As these entries are not part of ccleaner and are "use-at-your-own-risk", we cannot provide support for the winapp2 file beyond pointing you to the winapp2 thread (pinned to the top of the ccleaner discussion board); this is, however, a known issue in that entry from the templated winapp2 file.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Please add screenshots of your system and applications tabs or a copy of your ccleaner.ini and we may be able to tell you, or you can right click each of your checked entries choose clean and check MSSE for the bug after each entry is cleaned.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

What OS are you using?

MSE on newer versions of Windows is called Windows Defender, and it is unticked/not cleaned from what is shown in your screenshot.

I did notice McAfee antivirus ticked/cleaned in the screenshot, if you have two antiviruses installed it can cause issues so either disable Windows Defender and use McAfee -or- uninstall McAfee and enable Windows Defender.

Edited by Andavari