CCleaner Community Forums
hazelnut

Microsoft responds to Samsung disabling Windows Update on selected PCs

Hmmmm, may be a useful tool to stop the auto update feature on Win10 :)

According to Patrick, the following are true.

here:

http://bsodanalysis.blogspot.ie/2015/06/samsung-deliberately-disabling-windows.html

"... WU kept getting randomly reset to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them"

(Which I would prefer)

and
"Do note that it does check for a Samsung environment, and if one is not detected, the program will in general run really buggy."

Ahhh well. . . <_< 

And this is why I try to avoid buying prebuilt pcs whenever possible, or when I do I just factor in the cost of a new windows license. I no longer use the built in windows install on any laptops that I buy(I build my own desktops)

I can't come up with a reason why Samsung would do this ? Don't they see that this, in the long run, would hurt Samsung ? Did they develop their own new Operating System ? Is this a devious scheme to force users buy, paid for, updates ? Is Samsung seeking a larger income stream ? Does Samsung hate Windows ?

Samsung hate Windows ?

I doubt that many computer manufacturers "love" them. If the Windows Update drivers cause such havoc I wonder why Samsung doesn't just offer some specialized Linux build for their laptops - but anyone who's ever updated knows to avoid those drivers on the Windows Update site since they are know to cause issues and break s**t.

“Samsung has a commitment to security and we continue to value our partnership with Microsoft,” a Samsung spokesperson told VentureBeat. “We will be issuing a patch through the Samsung Software Update notification process to revert back to the recommended automatic Windows Update settings within a few days. Samsung remains committed to providing a trustworthy user experience and we encourage customers with product questions or concerns to contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG.”

Looks like they had a change of heart :)

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/26/samsung-will-patch-its-software-to-stop-disabling-windows-update-within-a-few-days/